Memory loss

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my grandfather kept on asking me questions about my girlfriend, and was obviously proud of the things he remembered about her. The only thing he couldn't remember is that we broke up. I had to talk with him about our "great relationship" for over an hour. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 584
You deserved it 4 129

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ahh, that sucks! :( You should have just told him lol...he wouldn't be mad. But it's not as bad as when my grandfather (of blessed memory) had dementia and asked me and my cousin where his brother was. His brother was shot and killed many years ago when the two of them were exiting the hardware store they co-owned. He died in front of my grandfather. And the thief was after whatever he'd had in his bag, which turned out to just be gym clothes. He was never caught. Little 13-year-old me had to explain all that to him...and watch his face fall as he tried to remember it. It wasn't fun :(.

I am sure he remembered a little bit more than you think he does :p Old men do get bored after all

Comments

27: You fail at grasping grammar. An hour is grammatically correct, since the "h" isn't pronounced in the word, thus making it phonetically start with a vowel sound, and therefore require "an" instead of "a".

4bbaf9d3caaa8f84 20

I agree with 16, the grandfather was obviously proud of being able to remember the OP's ex and correcting him [grandfather] would have been mean. To the OP: I think it was sweet of you to talk about an uncomfortable subject to prevent hurting your grandfather's feelings.

3timesthefun 0
cheerloveexx3 0

#27... you idiot. try not to correct people, especially if you are totally wrong. you just look stupid. and OP, not really a fyl.... not that big of a deal at least he cares.

HAHAHA #27 YOU ARE SUCH A FREAKING IDIOT . way to make yourself look like an airhead. awwe, that sucks. you shouldve told him.

awwe, #12. i'm so sorry. that sucks.:'(

I think its really sweet of you to make your grandfather happy like that (by not correcting him and making him feel stupid). Its all over now, and you hopefully don't have to worry about him talking about it for a while.

mcsnelly 5

i'm sure the OP was just trying to be nice but if the grandfather found out later that they were broken up already, he'd probably feel even dumber. I think if you had just explained to him that you had already broken up (maybe even tell him that it was very recent, even if it wasn't) but that you appreciated the things he did remember. #27--"an hour" is right. Obviously your "great private school" didn't teach you any better. Don't criticize people on a perfectly good public education if you don't even know what you're talking about and you don't even know that the OP went to a public school.