By Fubar0906 - 19/05/2009 01:11 - United States

Today, I'm on vacation. I spent $4000 to surprise my boyfriend on a trip to Hawaii. We have been together over a year. Turns out, he hates the outdoors. He's mad at me for bringing him here and is upset at everything. He's in the room reading, I'm at the bar drinking $10 Mai Tai's. FML
I agree, your life sucks 56 553
You deserved it 17 567

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You've been together over a year and you didn't know that he hates the outdoors? I gotta say YDI.

He seems like a jerk...any normal person would at least try to enjoy themselves when the significant other put in that much effort. Sorry, that sucks! On the upside you are in Hawaii!

Comments

He sounds like an ass, but it also sounds like you need to communicate more if you didn't know he hates the outdoors.

Anajox 0

I would break up with someone for being so frivolous with money. YDI.

Sounds like it is time for a new boyfriend.

sorakirei 0

You've been together for a year yet you didn't know that a trip to Hawaii would not make him happy. Hrm.... I guess you don't know him all that well after all.

LoveFifteen 0

It's time for a new boyfriend. Anyone who considers Hawaii a miserable experience in the "outdoors" is a whiny, prissy tool. And to all the people saying "you deserved it because you have been with him for a year and should have known", you people are wrong. If you have been dating for a year, you may have never vacationed together before. Who really asks their boyfriend, "You wouldn't hate a vacation in Hawaii, would you?" Give me a *&@#$@% break.

He might not be happy with the vacation, but he should appreciate the gesture and try his hardest to at least make sure you have a good time even if he's not having the time of his life. Plus making you happy should make him somewhat happy :-P #39 - are you her bf? seriously? no one should be that ungrateful! Sure she probably should have known after a year that her bf wasn't a big outdoors person, but that's no reason to act like a spoilt tween and think that everything is about themselves and not take another persons happiness into account. I hope the holiday gets better and even if the bf is completely miserable the whole time that you make some friends with people there and have fun anyway! (for that much money it better be damn fun!)

What an ingrate. What kind of insensitive cad would do that, even if you hate the outdoors! What does that even mean? How can someone hate Hawaii!? Get a new one.

ChefBoy6382 0

how could you be with this guy for over a year and not know what he likes? obviously your the one with the issue in this story. you totally got what ou deserved

GabriLee 0

In the OP's defense, When someone says outdoors, I would definitely not consider Hawaii outdoors. "Outdoors" means trees and rocks and dirt. Perhaps that's what she thought he meant by outdoors, because I'd probably still go to Hawaii with my boyfriend if he said he wasn't the outdoorsy type. On top of that, what a miserable jerk. All I can picture is a pale guy sitting in a corner with the curtain closed and AC blasting with a scowl on his face. People do things They don't like for the people they love. My boyfriend HATED prom when I took him but he plastered a smile on his face for me. This guy is a complete FAILURE at showing the OP that he cares. Even if he told the OP that he didn't want to go and the OP took him anyway, It was only out of good intentions, hoping he'd love Hawaii when he got there. But the stupid boyfriend isn't even giving Hawaii a chance. Way to be a bum.

I'd be mad if my partner spent 4 grand on a trip to Hawaii. I'm on medication that makes me photo sensitive, namely bright sunlight hurts my skin. Besides, we have bills to pay and spending $4,000 on a trip I'd enjoy less than a $400 trip to Chicago would definitely make me unhappy.