Big boss man

By Anonymous - 26/12/2020 10:58

Today, I have a doctor’s note confirming that I'm high risk for Covid and should only work from home. My boss still demands I come to the office, even though the only person I meet there is the guy who sterilizes the door handles. FML
I agree, your life sucks 907
You deserved it 240

Same thing different taste

Top comments

in other words: your workplace is practically as safe as staying at home. I don't see why you should't work there

its weird how stupid people are... a year in and people still don't get it. working from home means you can decide to avoid human interactions you don't trust. you know who touched the work space, and you can mitigate more risks. my own work believes at work is safer because management can punish socializing and sinning at work. (actual reasoning, wish I was exaggerating). it is all about know you are there. show them the doctor's decision in note form, then at least you can sue later if you get it from negligence.

Comments

in other words: your workplace is practically as safe as staying at home. I don't see why you should't work there

Exactly. OPs doctor probably assumes his physical workplace is filled with others. If there's no one else other than a cleaner and you HAVE to be there. (I'm going to assume accounting or IT) then it's absolutely no different. If you grocery shop or get takeout, that'll have more contamination than washing your hands at an empty building. :)

OP likely works with several other people, but the only one OP sees at the office is guy that sterilizes the door handle. Where is the boss and other coworkers? My guess is, is that OP is saying that, despite being high risk, OP is the only person being forced to attend the office- which is not as safe as working from home, because OP doesn't know where the door guy has been and could potentially cross paths with others on the street that OP wouldn't if they were working from home.

Driving to and from requires purchasing gas more frequently, or taking public transit. Exposing OP to far more people than WFH. It's not as if OP teleports to work.

samomaha 17

Absolutely right, core01. OP could also have other health issues that place him in deeper danger than the greater population if he should catch Covid19. I am a Type 1 diabetic and cancer survivor with an impaired immune system. Non-pandemic era normal work environments pose little threat to me. But I have been told by three doctors that if I catch Covid19, I will not survive it. That's a much higher risk than the average person, so working from home and ordering grocery delivery is the only fully safe option for me. The current workplace is absolutely NOT "practically as safe as staying at home".

its weird how stupid people are... a year in and people still don't get it. working from home means you can decide to avoid human interactions you don't trust. you know who touched the work space, and you can mitigate more risks. my own work believes at work is safer because management can punish socializing and sinning at work. (actual reasoning, wish I was exaggerating). it is all about know you are there. show them the doctor's decision in note form, then at least you can sue later if you get it from negligence.

If you're at least as isolated at the office as you are at home, why not require you be there? They pay you -- they own you.

I don't see the OPs location so I don't know what the prevailing laws are. Also, laws being on the books doesn't necessarily mean they have teeth. Workers in the US have virtually no meaningful rights even though a bunch of laws exist on paper.