By Sonofaquiche - 26/01/2017 02:00

Today, I had to help my grandma because her TV suddenly stopped working. She has cable as well as satellite, so she figured she didn't need the satellite receiver anymore. Apparently the best way to do get rid of it was to cut all the cables connected to the TV. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 997
You deserved it 467

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It is the quickest way... most expensive way.

cootiequeen4444 11

So, your grandma basically took a pair of shears and physically cut all the cords connected to her tv. that seems pretty extreme... and concerning. I know a lot of older people don't know a lot about electronics but they should know enough about electricity to know you don't mess with cords like that. How old is your grandma. Does dementia run in your family? Or alzheimmers? Not to be bell ringer but those illnesses sometimes start put as silly mistakes and some light forgetfulness before getting... depressing. Unless your mental capabilities start declining, one actually gets wiser as they get older. IDK when society started degrading old people because of the horrible phase of well "losing it" which happens sooner or later with older persons. its neither cute nor funny and can be downright terrifying the elderly sufferer. I mean - really - old people don't do really dumb things because oh that is just what the silly ol elderly do. Unless your grandma has been misinformed about how to deal with {electrical and the like} cords for the past I dunno 65 plus years they have been around most households...

Comments

It is the quickest way... most expensive way.

sonasonic 34

How the heck didn't she get electrocuted?

In theory, she should have cut the electric cord too if she cut all the cables to the tv. So he's not stupid, you are.

In theory, she would have cut the electric cable if she cut all the cords to the tv. So he's not stupid, the first reply to this post is.

species4872 19

If the TV suddenly stopped working she obviously cut the power lead as well, Sonasonic has a valid point. As to the down voters you must be clued up as much as Frabens.

She uses scissors with rubber handles to have a better grip with them, so that probably isolated her from the electricity.

species4872 19

Still would have shorted and gone off with a helluva bang.

Grandmother's logic! You need to adjust to that OP.

She took the idea of becoming a Cord Cutter too literally!

cootiequeen4444 11

So, your grandma basically took a pair of shears and physically cut all the cords connected to her tv. that seems pretty extreme... and concerning. I know a lot of older people don't know a lot about electronics but they should know enough about electricity to know you don't mess with cords like that. How old is your grandma. Does dementia run in your family? Or alzheimmers? Not to be bell ringer but those illnesses sometimes start put as silly mistakes and some light forgetfulness before getting... depressing. Unless your mental capabilities start declining, one actually gets wiser as they get older. IDK when society started degrading old people because of the horrible phase of well "losing it" which happens sooner or later with older persons. its neither cute nor funny and can be downright terrifying the elderly sufferer. I mean - really - old people don't do really dumb things because oh that is just what the silly ol elderly do. Unless your grandma has been misinformed about how to deal with {electrical and the like} cords for the past I dunno 65 plus years they have been around most households...

OP here. My grandma turns 92 in April, but she's mentally surprisingly fit. Usually. I mean sometimes she forgets stuff, but nothing concerning. Also she has absolutely no understanding of electronics in any way. I mean well she was born in 1925, what do you expect. But i know what you're talking about. I spend more time with her than the rest of my family since I usually help her do the groceries. And i told my parents already that we need to keep an eye on her and watch out. The problem is simply that my family can't afford to pay someone to take care of her daily or even put her into a home for the elderly. And we're all working so there's hardly any time for us to check on her regularly. After i talked to her about it she said that she tried and got annoyed. But as i said she's still quite fit. She cooks for herself, does her own laundry, manages her own finances (not that there is much to manage, but it's something isn't it?) and still speaks the three languages she knew 15-20 years ago (that's about as far as i can remember back). I don't think she's starting to get dementia or Alzheimers, since there's no sign of that in my family in the last 2-3 generations. But as i said, I told my parents and we're watching her a little more carefully now. But thanks for your concern, nice stranger on the internet. :)

Gotta love the technologically challenged elder Kt!