By shewantsmedead - 26/01/2017 18:00

Today, I ran into my mother-in-law, who I absolutely can't stand, with my car at 5 mph by accident. She jumped out in front of me after a particularly nasty argument, but my husband won't believe me and neither will the police. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 065
You deserved it 569

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like she planned this so that she can press charges against you. I'd invest in a good lawyer and get as many friends and family on your side that can vouch for how antagonistic your mother-in-law has been in the past. If you can prove that you don't have a history of reckless behavior when agitated, that would help too.

<p>If I were you I wouldn't have gone at 5mph</p>

Comments

<p>If I were you I wouldn't have gone at 5mph</p>

Sounds like she planned this so that she can press charges against you. I'd invest in a good lawyer and get as many friends and family on your side that can vouch for how antagonistic your mother-in-law has been in the past. If you can prove that you don't have a history of reckless behavior when agitated, that would help too.

*sigh* May I recommend that in the future, you invest in a dash cam. Maybe even a body cam when dealing with her? Good luck. I had an issue a few years ago with my antagonistic MIL. She claimed a mini-stroke, and upon questioning, I found out it was a self-diagnosis, backed up by her naturopath. She then told everyone I was stressing her out and was going to kill her with another stroke/heart attack. I almost divorced my husband over it. And I was right - she WASN'T having strokes.

Regardless of how this turns out never go anywhere near the woman again. As far as you're concerned she no longer exists, it's the best revenge I promise. People like that can't stand to be ignored.

CODPoseidon580 3

If I were you I wouldn't have stopped.

"Your Honor, with all due respect, if this had been intentional, I would not have been going just five miles per hour."

Just tell your husband that she isn't worth the jail time, so there's no way you'd even think to do it. That's pretty freaking bad your husband thinks you did it on purpose. He should know what kind of person his mom is. Depending where the accident was, it could prove it was her jumping in front. You in the driveway trying to leave? Why would she be out in front/behind your car? Doesn't add up. Write down details and keep calm. Get a lawyer and stay level headed. The one who's freaking out is usually the one who gets blamed in the end! Good Luck!

ImminentDisaster 12

Maybe a neighbour has security cameras a caught what happened on tape. I think in some systems old security footage gets saved over with new footage, so ask sooner rather than later.