By achoooo - 07/11/2009 05:34 - United States

Today, to celebrate moving into a new apartment, my girlfriend decided she would get a kitten. She didn't know I'm allergic to cats. When I told her, she decided that she couldn't date someone who couldn't be around her cat; the one she doesn't have yet. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 427
You deserved it 3 011

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope her name is on the lease and not yours, that way you can bail. If you still have to live together after breaking up, that sucks dude. Though cats are awesome. Also, first. I've never been first before. It's nice.

You didn't say that it was a new appartment the two of you got together - I hope for your sake it's not. And I have to assume those of you who agree with the girlfriend's choice have never actually been in love with a human being. Don't get me wrong, I'd never abandon my cat for my girlfriend, but I wouldn't abandon my girlfriend for my cat either. I would find a way to arrange my life that allows for both of them. If he had told her "it's me or the cat" that would be different- I'm assuming he didn't say that because people on FML don't seem to be shy about that sort of thing. I've seen "Today, I told my [significant other] that either [pet / car / roommate / other] goes or I go. They chose the [pet / car / roommate / other]. FML" a couple of times.

Comments

I hope her name is on the lease and not yours, that way you can bail. If you still have to live together after breaking up, that sucks dude. Though cats are awesome. Also, first. I've never been first before. It's nice.

ughbored 5

You sure she didn't know you where allergic?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
iwannafuckyaman 0

umm... she does not even own the kitten yet... why cant she just get a puppy...or a gold fish. **** even a pet rock. Meh, maybe i just actually care about my man.

Flutist 3

Its a lifestyle choice. Just like someone wouldn't want to be with someone who doesn't like them smoking. She likes cats and was being honest. Sure it sucks, but its not the end of the world.

Sun_Kissed18 25

Its funny how even though they are close enough to move in together, it never came up that she loves cats this much. If she will just dump her commited boyfriend for one, I would think that would come up in conversation that she likes them. Maybe thats just me.

Flutist 3

It never said they moved in together. It said the girlfriend celebrated moving.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

And what about the girlfriend not being aware that he was allergic to cats?

What can I say, COMMUNICATION FAILURE for both of them!! Another reason for a YDI. Anyways, what difference would it make if the GF is aware of the OP's allergy? Its not that she's gonna stop liking/loving/adopting cats. She'd probably say something like, "Get some meds for your allergy OR GTFO!" to him. I'd say that if this kind of situation is happening to me. You either suck it up or f*ck off. Easy like that, eh.

You didn't say that it was a new appartment the two of you got together - I hope for your sake it's not. And I have to assume those of you who agree with the girlfriend's choice have never actually been in love with a human being. Don't get me wrong, I'd never abandon my cat for my girlfriend, but I wouldn't abandon my girlfriend for my cat either. I would find a way to arrange my life that allows for both of them. If he had told her "it's me or the cat" that would be different- I'm assuming he didn't say that because people on FML don't seem to be shy about that sort of thing. I've seen "Today, I told my [significant other] that either [pet / car / roommate / other] goes or I go. They chose the [pet / car / roommate / other]. FML" a couple of times.

amatayo 0

when it comes to a human connection or that of an anima it's human every time. not that I have probs with pets it's just I rather have someone to fight with and love then something that seems to have no thought other then my next meal when I can play. sorry to all that find it better to talk with your animals then people.

Jacks_Penguin 0
kravitzz1990 0

she'll prob grow up to be a scary cat lady like in the simpsons!!! LOL watta bitch!

QuentinM95 0

I'm amazed at everyone saying "my cats are first." WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??? My God, cats are stupid animals anyway, get a dog or something else that will stay loyal to you and not crap in a box,

OHMYGOD. you clearly never had a cat. "cats are stupid animals"?? YOU are a stupid animal. grow up

Jacks_Penguin 0

UH-OH, we have a cat fanatic on our hands here!

Haha lol, who even like dogs anywayyyy? They shit everywhereeee haha

#39 , females dont need their boyfriends to pay for their dinner, if thats what youre insinuating. they can pay for their own. although, it would definitely be easier if women werent paid only 70 cents for every dollar a man makes. so maybe go shove your stupid excuses up your ass :) im not saying OP is wrong for posting the fml, but your comment absolutely drove me up the wall.

Sorry, yeah, that's a deal breaker for me too. I couldn't be with someone who didn't want or couldn't have pets. Sucks you had to find out that way, though.