Welcome to the machine

By Ihatecorporatebs - 10/09/2022 14:00

Today, I found out that just because your shift ends at 6 p.m. doesn’t mean you can leave at 6 p.m. on the dot. You might get written up by your boss when he wants to discuss some projects and needs 5 minutes of your time, and you decline. Apparently, having boundaries is classed as “insubordination.” FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 108
You deserved it 291

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Tell him you have a commitment to get to and he can have meetings with you during company time.

Good thing you just got a warning to learn that your time is not your own. You could have been fired for having the crazy idea that your schedule is anything more than just a suggestion.

Comments

Good thing you just got a warning to learn that your time is not your own. You could have been fired for having the crazy idea that your schedule is anything more than just a suggestion.

Tell him you have a commitment to get to and he can have meetings with you during company time.

It would not have killed you and now look.

Nikki 16

But would it of killed the boss to ask earlier or wait till the next day?

mccuish 25

Sounds like the restaurant industry. You’re done when you’re done

Blobby McGee 5

It's called life. It's the real world. Stop complaining and get used to it.

Time for some malicious compliance, I think. You could take two tracks with it - Building on the suggestion from Abbusser, insist on being personally dismissed from work by your boss, and claim overtime for all time above the 8 hours/day / 40 hrs/week maximums that happen because he didn't dismiss you on time, and you're just going off his previous instructions that the end of your scheduled time does not constitute permission to leave. And/or: Insist on getting in-person confirmation of every action you take at work from now on, to ensure there is no confusion about whether or not you have prioritized things correctly, since apparently your time management is not to be trusted. Make this process as tedious and time-wasty as possible, personally going to your boss at every task change or minor break in workflow. Yes, these actions will likely not ingratiate you to your boss, and might not even get your point across if your boss is particularly willfully ignorant. But, it sounds like you don't have much to lose right now anyway. What's the worst that could happen, you're let go and have to find a new job with hopefully a much more reasonable boss (which, to be clear, you should already be looking for anyway, by the sounds of things)?

i got fired for leaving after hours on a extra day, was trying to leave cus i didnt want to crash a customer vehicle from exhuastion, but dont mind the others leaving at that same time......tires during change over so we were cool with the extra half day.

Time for you to grow up or decide to be a lower paid worker the rest of your life.

I was only ever questioned 1 time on my timesheet with early punch outs. I told them to look at my punch in times. it was like 4:1 on minutes clocked in early. I made sure though to offer to make sure it was on the dot and OT, or simply not worry about nickles and dimes. I would build a foundation of punching in as soon as you get there instead of "on time" and do as others said, making your bosses job needlessly tedious to fulfill his demands.