Like it or lump it

By jupiter - 13/11/2021 14:00

Today, I live in the basement and as far as I can tell, my parents spend every day rearranging the furniture upstairs and slamming every door in the house, all day long. If I complain or even mention the noise, they threaten to kick me out onto the streets. I’m not even old enough to move out. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 035
You deserved it 135

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like they're hoping you'll leave on your own initiative with their passive aggressive tactics. If you're a minor, call CPS.

Comments

Sounds like they're hoping you'll leave on your own initiative with their passive aggressive tactics. If you're a minor, call CPS.

Two possibilities: (1) Like most homes with basements there is minimal sound insulation between the main floor and basement. I once had an older home and when it was quiet I could hear our cat walk across the floor when I was in the basement. Wooden floors especially carry and sometimes amplify sounds. So it could be that the sounds are of normal volume upstairs but in the basement sounds louder than you would expect. Or (2) Your parents want you to get a job and move out. I should think that if this is the case you should be hearing other hints about this when they talk to you. By the way, it’s your parents home. It doesn’t belong to you - You just live there. Unless you are paying rent or performing significant work in the place of “rent” you have no right to tell your parents how to live in their own home. The more you complain, the more likely it is that your parents will just increase the noise level to “prove” that point. I suspect that if you complained less the noise levels might go down - Unless it’s the case of noisy floors.

This needs an update. How are you doing, OP?