By Allergies suck - 22/11/2016 15:33 - United States - Westport

Today, I had four separate allergic reactions. The first from the pillow at the hotel I was staying at, the second and third from two separate ice cream parlors due to cross-contamination, and the fourth from peanut dust in the air on the plane ride home from my vacation. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 552
You deserved it 1 061

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe your next vacation should be a staycation in a bubble.

I'd recommend Peter Hans "Pete" Docter, an American film director, animator, screenwriter, producer and voice actor who has directed such feature films as Monsters, Inc., Up, and Inside Out. Pete seems like he'd have some interesting ideas for adapting OP's humorous day into a film.

Comments

I'd recommend Peter Hans "Pete" Docter, an American film director, animator, screenwriter, producer and voice actor who has directed such feature films as Monsters, Inc., Up, and Inside Out. Pete seems like he'd have some interesting ideas for adapting OP's humorous day into a film.

Been there, allergies suck! Hope you're okay OP!

Did you not alert the airlines that you have a peanut allergy? I don't pretend to know the facts because I've never dealt with this, but the airlines I've flown on withhold peanuts from passengers if one of them has a peanut allergy. I just assume it's something you have to let them know beforehand.

cootiequeen4444 11

this. OP gets a quasi YDI from me for the last allergy attack if they neglected to tell the airlines about their peanut allergy... though many airlines stopped serving peanuts completely that is not the case for every airline so letting airlines know about your peanut allergy ahead of time is key to a safer flight (also let them know of any food allergy and animal allergies due to service animals and small animals in carriers being allowed on the passenger part of the plane now!)

With peanut allergies being SO common.. I think airlines know to not allow that food on the plane. At least one person will always have the allergy on the plane. I think that much is almost common sense... And so it's poor service from the airline's perspective. (Unless someone brought some food onto the plane, then it's obviously not the airline's fault). For this reason, I don't think OP deserves it for not "sharing" that.

I fly on Southwest a lot and they still provide bags of peanuts. There's been a couple times where they've announced beforehand that there was a passenger with peanut allergies so they were abstaining from passing them out until the plane landed so people could get them as they deplaned. I know most airlines don't give out peanuts anymore, but apparently not all.

From what I've read, the method they use to clean out the air vents/air filtration of the passenger area of planes is imperfect and leaves residual dust in some cases. While the residual is usually negligible, if a person has a bad enough allergy, even that amount can trigger an allergic reaction up to and including anaphylactic shock. Also, it might not have actually been peanut dust- if someone on the plane was wearing a scented product, that could have possibly triggered the reaction- which, airlines don't/can't really accommodate for that so people with severe allergies to colognes and perfumes are kinda screwed in regards to planes.

I've been on a flight where peanuts were banned on the flight because someone had an allergy, we got doritos instead of the usual nuts :P

Maybe your next vacation should be a staycation in a bubble.

sounds like you had a really nutty day

So.......how bout that airline food

yea, if you do you risk running into super cool edgy Assholes like Mohawk man here.

Peanuts haven't been authorized in most airplanes companies for years because it's the most common food allergen...

Someone else commented they were on a flight recently where peanuts were handed out. It's still a thing on some airlines.

It's not the most common, but it's the worst food allergy of all. There is no such thing as moderate peanut allergy, in most cases the first and least harmful stage of reaction is anaphylactic shock.