By IdiotNursingStudent - 22/09/2014 02:12 - United States - Belton

Today, I was reviewing for a major nursing school exam I have this week. I panicked because none of the material seemed familiar, and figured that I must've missed something during class and now had to catch up. After 4 hours, I finally realized that I'd been studying from the wrong textbook. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 632
You deserved it 14 528

Same thing different taste

Top comments

NiceGuysDoWin 21

It took you 4 hours to figure out you were studying the wrong textbook? Are you sure you have the observation skills necessary to be a nurse? "Yes Doctor, we've had him on the ventilators for 4 hours, but he keeps trying to fight us and remove the tubes". "Well nurse, she's in labor so I would imagine she doesn't really need the ventilator."

Well at least now you are a more knowledgable, well-rounded person...yeah I'm just kidding, that blows, but you probably should've launched a major investigation before 4 hours had passed

Comments

8 - there's also a button to show your dismay of a reply...

SystemofaBlink41 27

Also, are you telling us it sucks or are you asking us?

Take good notes and good luck with the exam. Always ensure you study correct book

Well at least now you are a more knowledgable, well-rounded person...yeah I'm just kidding, that blows, but you probably should've launched a major investigation before 4 hours had passed

OlChickenBeard 16

Well then you better get on it!

Hopefully you don't land up treating the wrong patient

NiceGuysDoWin 21

It took you 4 hours to figure out you were studying the wrong textbook? Are you sure you have the observation skills necessary to be a nurse? "Yes Doctor, we've had him on the ventilators for 4 hours, but he keeps trying to fight us and remove the tubes". "Well nurse, she's in labor so I would imagine she doesn't really need the ventilator."

My mom was in the nursing program and honestly they have a ton of books! And a lot of them have similiar information/covers but more in depth, so I could see OP easily confusing certain books with others.

No, 21, it's not something that would easily happen. OP sounds like someone who didn't crack open the book at all until test time, and then tried to learn it all at once. Let's just hope she isn't as lax when it comes to getting shift report on her patients.

@21 the point #9 means is that we don't want the nurses that treat us to confuse things... it's kind of important... don't want them to stick a needle in the wrong place because they made a mix-up! I know everyone's human but still, I would like my nurse to pay attention to details or double check at least.

I saw the point #9 was making. I was just explaining that nursing books are actually really similiar. And that i could see OP confusing what book was what. Nurses are suppose to pay attention, but when trying to do some last minute studying things can get really stressful and OP could have just been having one of those days we all have.

I'm a nurse and I totally get what #21 is saying. They give you a ton of redundant books that look very similar. I can't say I ever studied the wrong book, and if I did, it was only for a minute or two. Nonetheless, nursing school its tough and very stressful. We are all just human beings and, therefore, are flawed. Observation skills are something that you thoroughly hone in nursing school.

Some books look really similar depending on what you're studying. Maybe OP had two similar books that both related to healthcare, but one was only needed for a particular class for that particular exam. I have two AP Language books that look really similar and are used in the same class and I find myself making the mistake of looking at the wrong one all the time because they relate to the same subject and are relatively similar. While four hours is a long time to figure this out, it's understandable to confuse two similar books. Anyways, that's really awful OP, but hopefully you're still prepared. Good luck on the exam!

tantanpanda 26

I had the same problem. accidentally bought the english language and literature instead of english language and conposition.

It sucks that op was looking at the wrong book but it sounds like it was a similar book and nerves get to everyone during exam time. Hopefully you read through the right textbook and realized you knew everything and were fully prepared! Good luck op!

The wrong book wasn't about building time machines I guess..