By Awkward - 04/02/2010 16:03 - France

Today, my boyfriend broke up with me, claiming moving in was a bad idea and he is the type who needs his privacy. It was his idea to move in, he had to convince me. Now we are stuck, under lease together for the next 6 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 863
You deserved it 3 711

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Draw a line up the middle and take one side.

olivejuice001 0

If one of you wants to stay wherever you are living and the other agrees to move out, you can usually have the lease rewritten under the name of the one staying. Did that when I realized my now ex-fiance was a waste of time and energy. He moved out, I kept the place. (This works best when he's done something incredibly stupid that you can hold over his head to motivate him to get lost.)

Comments

Horney4her69 0

better to find out now rather than after you're married.

furb82 0

that's what you get for shacking up... hopefully you have learned your lesson

If her name is on the lease, she's liable if he doesn't make rent or damages anything.

natedog193 0

thats gonna be an awkward 6 months then

why not just have herself taken off the lease. last time that happened to me i just walked into the estate agent and said i moved out and take me off the lease. was done in about 30 min. if your partener or the ex is still there they cant keep you on the lease surely

YayAmerica 0

Don't do shit you don't want to do.

#46 "for shacking up" seriously? It would be the same after marriage except larger repercussions.

That sucks. If it were me, I'd get a roommate and kick him out. No reason to be stuck living with someone unless you want to.

this is true. living together past this point means one of you will be driven insane with whom the other brings home.

geordieboysgirl 0

Don't be shocked if next week he changes his mind again.

If you draw a line down the middle, make sure you get the half with the bathroom. Oh and put alarms and bells on it. Sarcasm and humor are great for stress relief :)

o0XMzMayX0o 0

#7 I agree!! so he learns to stick with his choices and war kind of privacy does he want?? hopefully nit to cheat on u!

olivejuice001 0

If one of you wants to stay wherever you are living and the other agrees to move out, you can usually have the lease rewritten under the name of the one staying. Did that when I realized my now ex-fiance was a waste of time and energy. He moved out, I kept the place. (This works best when he's done something incredibly stupid that you can hold over his head to motivate him to get lost.)

olivejuice001 is absolutely right. Most landlords would rather rewrite a lease than have potentially volatile tenants. It's usually less hassle from his/her perspective to lose one of you than to lose both of you. Have a chat with your ex about whether he wants to keep the apartment or if he'd rather leave and let you keep it (if either of you can afford it alone). In any case, make sure that the remaining person has all the keys to the place or future FMLs are inevitable.

AntiChrist7 0

Don't date morons who don't know what they want. YDI

saranottelling 7

I hope you're in one of those annoying relationships where you break up for two days then get back together, only to break up again the next week.