By Anonymous - 27/12/2016 13:16 - Australia

Today, my extremely lazy colleague received a promotion with benefits, while I was fired for "not being a team-player". I had stayed quiet about her constant negative behaviour because my supervisor said we needed to "have each other's backs". While I was protecting hers, she put a knife in mine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 044
You deserved it 816

Same thing different taste

Top comments

without someone else to carry the load, she may find her promotion short-lived. Employers generally want results, particularly from someone just promoted.

Shadowvoid 33

That's why I only stick up for people who truly deserve it, I won't say anything bad about them until someone asks my opinion. You don't get free chances, you have to earn my approval before I give you any slack. I wouldn't say this works for everyone and in all cases, but I'm not going to let someone screw me and be silent about it.

Comments

This is precisely why nice guys/girls/people finish last. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

Thats why im a cat. I laugh at the dogs while they fight, steal their bone and bed, and because im a cat, i toss the bone, scratch up the bed, and find a computer screen to lie in front off.

Shadowvoid 33

That's why I only stick up for people who truly deserve it, I won't say anything bad about them until someone asks my opinion. You don't get free chances, you have to earn my approval before I give you any slack. I wouldn't say this works for everyone and in all cases, but I'm not going to let someone screw me and be silent about it.

Sorry OP hope you get another job. But next time only act like a team player if the people in the team actually deserve it because most people are not worth it.

species4872 19

Funny that, I told my boss a long time ago that I am an individual and I'm here to do a job, not play a game and if he wants " a team player" go find himself a basket ball player or something.

species4872 19

"Have each others back", what a lot of crap, unless you're part of seal team six just do your job and **** what other people do. Now you've learnt the hard way. Always look after number one.

It may not seem like it now, but you're better off looking for work elsewhere. A company that promotes lazy incompetents and values that "team-player" bullshit too much is not going to succeed in the long run.

They will figure out how lazy she is eventually, you will find a better job.

shanew422 0

That is why documentation is key. Anytime something happens you want a record of the SBO (Situation, Behavior, Outcome) from me in a management position it's always always always good to cover your behind while also getting your entire team to succeed.

There's a difference between having someone's back and encouraging bad work ethic. If your coworker wasn't doing her job, you had no real reason to protect her. Now, if she were doing her job and getting ACCUSED of not doing it, then you would have reason to "have her back." But letting someone who isn't doing their part keep on being lazy doesn't help anyone. If you had reported her, she may have gotten fired and you would be the one still employed.

Honesty is usually the best policy with these things. Simply have your aim to be that the truth is spoken and act accordingly. I had someone like this at my last job and my biggest regret is that I didn't speak up about it. Happily I'm now in a far better job. I'm sure you'll find something better too.

at least now u know who's shallow af