By Already Broke Asf - 18/11/2015 01:51 - United States - Rock Hill

Today, my 19-year-old brother broke into my dorm and robbed me. When I tried to file a report, my brother went to my parents and told them that he took it because I owed him money on a bet. Guess who lost $92.50. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 024
You deserved it 2 334

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I don't care if he's family take it to the police

Even if you did "owe" him, that doesn't make it any less illegal to go into someone's living quarters and take it from them. It's still stealing.

Comments

I don't care if he's family take it to the police

I do understand op not wanting to file a report and go to the police about this. You have to realize that op's brother would be charged for this and have a permanent record. Which means that every time he has to fill out an application for a job he is legally required to check off that he has a criminal record, which severely affects his chances of getting a good job. Yes, the brother is in the wrong. 100% he is. But I understand not wanting to file a report and have something that can affect him and his job/career/life for the rest of his life. I would try and resolve this between the family first. Tell him (or the parents) that if he doesn't give it back, that you will file a report, and he will have a permanent record which will affect every job he has and stay with him for life. Maybe that will get them to smarten up.

File it anyway. You're an adult and can legally charge him

Even if you did "owe" him, that doesn't make it any less illegal to go into someone's living quarters and take it from them. It's still stealing.

Exactly op! Do the right thing and file a report

If your parents took his side just because he said that I would say they're lacking common sense. Like everyone else is saying, I think going to the police is the best option.

spacefish966 18

Bets are always best paid back...be a man of your word... Either way you could probably take it back...but that might be easier said than done

Wild guess here but I'm willing to bet $92.50 and say that it was you.

You should still file a report anyhow, just because he's family doesn't mean he's above the law. Hopefully you get it all back!

Christ, he even took 50¢ in change—it's /completely/ normal to bet somebody an amount that isn't represented in whole dollars.

you can still charge him with break in and theft. he needs to learn tht isnt cool nor okay. he shouldve just asked for tht money even if it meant you saying no.

Clearly the people who thumbed you down can't see sarcasm. Lol.