By Carrie_Chaos - 23/05/2016 20:16 - United States - Fresno

Today, I started dating my best friend, who is Hispanic. I told my family the good news and all my father had to say to me was, "I will allow you to date him, but you should really think about settling with someone your own kind." FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 066
You deserved it 1 492

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What a jackass. We are one kind: human. At least you know what kind of mindset your dad has now :/ I'm so sorry. I wish you the best in your relationship. Don't let his small-minded thinking get in the way of that.

Comments

I'm sure OP's dad would be more upset if she started dating a girl. There's no winning with bigots.

Wow that's narrow-minded to say the least. Hopefully he'll quickly realize that ethnicity isn't a deal breaker when it comes to his daughter's happiness.

What a jackass. We are one kind: human. At least you know what kind of mindset your dad has now :/ I'm so sorry. I wish you the best in your relationship. Don't let his small-minded thinking get in the way of that.

Well were not all the same kind, we are the same species. But anyway there father is a really asshole.

No, we're different kinds, but the same species, the same way dogs are different breeds but they're all still dogs.

The problem is "kind" isn't really defined here and it's certainly not a scientific term like "species" is. So it can mean whatever depending on the context.

Actually, no, we are not different "kinds," like dogs. We are all the same kind, and that is human, the original poster was right. The Human Genome Project scientifically proved that we are all the same kind and come the same place. You could compare the genomes of every individual in the world, and there would be no differences, we'd be the same, there is no gene for race or "kinds." The races are merely an adaptation which changed our early human ancestors' skin colour when they dispersed and settled in areas with different climates, it started being passed down later. For example, the early people that stayed in Africa kept a darker skin complexion with a high melanin content because of the intense heat and sun, to protect them from this climate. Where's people that dispersed to Europe, the melanin in their skin faded because they didn't need to be protected as much.

Yes but different people of different origins can live their lives a lot differently which is what I think that father was trying to say in a way

Dog breeds are bullshit anyways. The vast majority of them exist because of selective breeding during the period where people were crazy for eugenics.

Don't let is thinking get in the way I'm sure in time he will see the error of his ways

Mathalamus 24

they ARE your own kind. stupid father.

If Trump gets in it'll become a long distance relationship... with a "great big beautiful wall" in between.

Allow you to date him..? Your own kind? Seriously wtf time period did your father travel from

imagine if by "your own kind" he meant other women? maybe he is just super open minded!

Maybe he meant stay away from the simians, stick to the humans.

Wouldn't let me delete my comment so I wrote this instead.