By stutterboy - 11/06/2013 20:36 - United States - Rancho Cucamonga

Today, I was giving a presentation to my college class. I've had a natural stutter my whole life, so I stuttered through the whole thing. My professor tried to hold in her laughter for 15 minutes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 262
You deserved it 2 750

Same thing different taste

Top comments

yea because someone's uncomfort and disability is hilarious..stupid ****

football98_fml 20

EVERYONE WHO IS PRETENDING TO STUTTER IN THE COMMEMTS, STOP! U GUYS ARE BEING REALLY RUDE TO OP!

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

...why is this buried? Has no one else seen Billy Madison?

Idk if it's just me, but the t's totally look like they are getting smaller at the beginning the comment. I think it's time for bed x.x

there is a method to help minimize stuttering. When you are alone, practice speaking with your teeth closed. It is suppose to "retrain" your mouth.

PandaKitteh 20

Oh my god, why did this get burried? That's the FIRST thing that came into my mind. Don't worry OP, my boyfriend stutters and I think it's cute, though it may be frustrating to him/you. Just relax and I hope you get a good grade:3

What an asshole. Ignore that crappy teacher. I can't stand it when people mock or laugh at someone who struggles with stuttering/reading out loud. I read really quickly in my head, almost "skimming" fast. Basically like sight reading, and I can totally grasp the concept and understand everything, but catch me trying toread out loud? No way. My mouth can't keep up with my eyes. People literally think I can't read, and I'll be able to read something five times over before they are done with it. My friend also reads super fast but stutters really badly. I don't understand the humor.

#76 The first thing that came to my mind was "Stuttering Stanley! Stuttering Stanley!" from the Sixth Sense.

this got buried because you're and asshole. mocking somebody for someone with a speech impediment is a dick move.

Redoxx_fml 22

OP should get Hector Barbossa to help him the way he helped the King with his speech

tjv3 10
revan546 24

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
friedpwnadge 25

Hey screw you, I have a lisp and people mess with me all the time about it. Making fun of a disability is the lowest thing you can do.

NickaPLZ 26

But it's not a disability. Sure, it sucks, and yes I agree that people need to stop laughing at OP, but a stutter is a LEARNED BEHAVIOR. That's totally different from a disability. Has no one on here seen The King's Speech? In the movie he developed it as a young child due to stress and ridiculous expectations. You can learn to overcome it and it'll never happen again.

While that's true, not all stutters are just habitual. My husband has turrets and occasionally stutters. It's typically stress related, but not always.

78 - Your husband has turrets? Is he by chance the Engineer?

#71- Actually, stuttering is often the result of learning difficulties, or some sort of physical disability and is medically classed as a 'motor disease'. You do not always develop a stutter, sometimes you're born unable to articulate properly. Also OP, your professor is a RAGING bitch, and should be ******* fired for that pathetic display of immaturity in a job that should command respect from her pupils.

That's not always true. You can be born with one. A lot of autistic kids have stutters.

sammers_2 3

Well someone stepped off the bus from stupid town

people with lisps are cool with me and I have no problem with them. I actually like talking to them because they're normally really friendly, mainly because I've never met someone with a lisp that thought he was better than everyone else. good listeners good, since most aren't very confident in their voice.

yea because someone's uncomfort and disability is hilarious..stupid ****

Same thing happened to me. I have an oversized tongue, which causes me to have a lisp. My English teacher laughed at me during my speech a couple weeks ago.

To all of you who said the lady is mean, my sister stutters occasionally and laughs about it every time. So do I. She doesn't care because she knows stuttering is somewhat funny. Some people can't hold their laughter very well. I can't at all. But, the fact that his professor tried not to laugh is a good thing. Get it straight.

Hang in there OP! That's pretty unprofessional on her part, as an educator you'd think she'd know better than to laugh at a student

Brightbulb 39

Unfortunately too many teachers don't. I have major social anxiety thanks to my teachers laughing at me. And I finally beat my stutter unless I'm mad or really tired.

Joking about seizures, (as seen on previous FML) : ok. Joking about stuttering: not okay. Please explain how a speech impediment is more serious than a life threatening condition

Brightbulb 39

@45 yes, I would like to know the same. All disabilities ought to be treated equal if the hierarchy is going to be so skewed.

Epikouros 31

Usually I will joke about anything, but there's a difference: mocking epileptic people will not make them have more seizures, but mocking stutterers may make them more nervous and stutter more.

I would be intrigued to know the mods' position on the matter. After all, it is their site.

football98_fml 20

i also stutter everytime i give a presentation. just try not looking at the audience too much, hope it helps. Sorry OP, FYL

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I'm sorry your professor is such a jerk. I hope the class was more polite.