And you are?

By Firefighter Groom - 07/02/2021 23:01

Today, I got married to my girlfriend of three years. Her mother's Alzheimer's came into play at the wedding when she asked who I was. My bride-to-be couldn't stop crying. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 038
You deserved it 64

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ambrily 27

I'm sorry, Alzheimer's is one of my worst nightmares after seeing some of my family members deal with it for a long time. I wish I could hug your wife and tell her it's going to be OK. Be with her through this bad time, I'm rooting for you all, guys.

Comments

tounces7 27

An FML for the wife for sure. The mother probably won't even remember it. Alzheimer's is mostly torture for everyone around the person.

Ambrily 27

I'm sorry, Alzheimer's is one of my worst nightmares after seeing some of my family members deal with it for a long time. I wish I could hug your wife and tell her it's going to be OK. Be with her through this bad time, I'm rooting for you all, guys.

coius 23

As a person with a bad enough tbi to have frequent memory loss, it scares me when I’m told I’ve said something/done something that I don’t remember. The horror is real from the person who knows they have memory loss, as it confuses you, and you also, from time to time, realize the burden you create. I don’t want to be a burden on my wife or family, and I hope I don’t progress worse anytime, but I occasionally can’t remember whether I’ve turned off an appliance, or even locked my house up. That mother must be so confused. And it’s sad to see from the outside and inside at the same time. My sweet great aunt is 94, physically fit, but forgets most questions she’s asked with 30 minutes of a reply. The day they don’t even really they suffer from some form of memory loss, is the day they live in total confusion, being in a place they don’t recognize, and around people they don’t know, even if it’s their own home with their own family. I can attest, I’d rather go out with a bullet through my heart or a heart attack. At least I’d die in the company of loved ones, or people I know who care. Dimentia and alzheimers is a horrendous disease, and I hope one day they find a way to halt/stop the progression. In the meantime, I’ll keep trying to learn to keep making new neural pathways to stave off it’s progression. Because idleness is giving up to be defeated by it.