Cool your jets

By Anonymous - 19/07/2021 22:01

Today, my fiancé told a priest on the bus to fuck off, because he was annoying her with all his God talk. She didn’t know the priest had been our family's priest for the past 40 years, the guy we were supposed to talk to about our wedding next year. Guess that’s not happening now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 738
You deserved it 1 188

Same thing different taste

Top comments

For this, more info is needed. I am not religious (and actually despise organized religion) and have been tempted to tell some priests to **** off because they came across as trying to convert me while chatting with them, while I have also had hours long talks about anything and everything with priests where religion does not get mentioned at all. If your family priest came across as overly preachy, he may have deserved it, but if not, your GF owes an apology.

Why would you get married by a priest if she wasn't religious? I don't get it -_-

Comments

For this, more info is needed. I am not religious (and actually despise organized religion) and have been tempted to tell some priests to **** off because they came across as trying to convert me while chatting with them, while I have also had hours long talks about anything and everything with priests where religion does not get mentioned at all. If your family priest came across as overly preachy, he may have deserved it, but if not, your GF owes an apology.

Why would you get married by a priest if she wasn't religious? I don't get it -_-

I got married by a priest. My wife wanted it. Like I said above, I despise religion, but I also respect my wife’s views on it as well. A wedding is nothing but a whole bunch of compromises both sides usually work out. A priest officiating is one of those things. I was married in the same church my wife was baptized by the same priest who married her parents and baptized her, so I decided to put my view aside and let her have that for the wedding. Yes it was a great wedding.

Why didn't you introduce her? By your post, it seems like the three of you were in the same space and thus the perfect opportunity to introduce them. Also, as another commenter said, if your partner isn't religious, did she agree to having a priest officiate or did you just assume?

OP may not have been there when his fiancé spoke with the priest, only learning about it afterward. Either way, I agree with the above comments about the priest officiating when it’s clear the fiancé isn’t involved in that religion.

Maybe you guys can try and find a priest who's not an obnoxious proselytizer to marry you now?

He sounds insufferable. Why would you want him marrying you anyway?

40 years? Maybe he retires or dies before. Don´t sweat it now.

Some throuples just aren't meant to work out. So the question now is; who do you love more - your fiancée, or Jesus?