New fangled technology

By notacashier - This FML is from back in 2014 but it's good stuff - United States - Brooklyn

Today, I used the self-checkout for the first time. I didn't see a slot for bills, so I tried to put them in the coin slot for a solid three minutes. There was a huge line behind me, silently judging. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 833
You deserved it 28 787

Same thing different taste

Top comments

yeyeboys 20

YDI Wouldn't you know the difference between the size between a bill and a coin.

That's when you drop everything and leave without saying a word.

Comments

yeyeboys 20

YDI Wouldn't you know the difference between the size between a bill and a coin.

This was just a coin-cidence. OP wasn't being dumb or trying to be a re-bill. OP just had one of those days and was hoping their persistence would "change" their luck.

Whats funny about this FML is I was working self checkout yesterday and this old lady tried shoving coins into the cash slot. We had to open it up to get them out. Everyone makes mistakes OP don't worry about it (:

smc3106 25

Nice name, OP. Notacashier, also could have used Notageniusoobviously. Lol

"Purse-instance" would've made the puns that much better.

That's when you drop everything and leave without saying a word.

StillUsesMyspace 22

Oh god. Who let the 10 year olds back onto this site?

StillUsesMyspace 22

Oh god. Who let the people without a sense of humor onto this site?

He can't be 10 he still uses MySpace :p

Not me either, those things are pretty much self explanatory.

My aunt thought one time that the lane bump things were brail for blind people when they drive :/. Not as bad as putting cash in a coin slot.

Fold the bills into tiny squares. Duh! (Sarcasm) :)

Respect101 17

wait you really mean you're not supposed to do that??? I hope no one tries to pay with change..

And no one behind you bothered to point out the correct slot for you?

Nope. They were either calling him an idiot or deciding to help him or not.

why would you help? that would ruin the entertainment

kingdomgirl94 29

Some people also get really pissy if you try to help them because it hurts their pride. They'd rather hold up a line than admit that they needed help.

chelsearenaeee 16

Aw OP. It's okay. One time I tried scanning a box of cereal and I didn't think if went through because it didn't beep.(it beeped for everything else) I stood there for a solid 2 minutes just buying it over and over again. Self-Checkouts are awful.

Check the screen it'll keep you updated ;)

Or you could look at the screen and see the item and price showed up a bunch of times

The screen was old and dim... The only reason I was using it was because the line was like 10 people long and I had to get back home to babysit my little brother haha(: but yeah it was stupid. I was rushed hah

You know as a cashier I can tell you, you may not have been in the wrong. As the tills are never switched off and allowed to reset (they are even left on overnight) they develop weird glitches. This usually happens when the store is quite busy. It's quite rare, but one of the glitches is that the till scans an item multiple times. I once had it happen to me as an operator. The till scanned a box of washing up powder 50 times. Another cashier I know had a bag of oranges that scanned 1000 times... Coming to a total of just over £1000. Usually you wouldn't notice these things as operators fix them quickly. But it can happen.

I don't know if you meant "wrong" or "worrying". Regardless, your sentence was both.