The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils

By JFC - 11/11/2022 14:00

Today, I watched as a bully told a kid, "I wish someone would staple your mouth shut so you would never talk again" right in front of the teacher. The teacher definitely heard it. She didn't get written up for it. Not even a verbal warning. I would pay to see a teacher actually punish someone in this school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 055
You deserved it 117

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sounds like pretty ordinary kid trash talk. Even as adults, we have STFU to capture the same sentiment.

Then perhaps if the student stood up to the bully, they wouldn't get in trouble then. It should work on both ends.

Comments

Then perhaps if the student stood up to the bully, they wouldn't get in trouble then. It should work on both ends.

That’s not how it works. When a kid stands up to the bully they get punished because then the teacher has an actually fight (verbal or otherwise) and has to deal with it. Of course the “instigator” deserving a more severe punishment is the kid betting bullied at that point, because they could have had peace and quiet until the kid said something.

The key is to make things very clear and uncomfortable enough for the teacher so they MUST take action. " That is Bullying and I am going to the Principal because Teacher just allows it." Then the victim must go to the principals office. if the teacher hears the key word, they need to take action. if not the victim needs to disrupt class so they get sent to the office. if the whole class hears victim declare the bullying, then they are all now on the hook and administration will have plenty of folks to talk with.

That sounds like pretty ordinary kid trash talk. Even as adults, we have STFU to capture the same sentiment.

ODBeefalo 10

while school is the place to teach... kids discipline and how to behave around other humans, this falls into the unpunishable threat category as an adult. a threat so blatantly specific and pretty much unlovable it makes no sense, usually so over the top it becomes funny. I think this is based on getting halfway through a real threat out of anger and realizing "hey wait, I could actually get the cops called on me if I say this" and swirving the other way.

Vesi 29

Perhaps report this to the principle in case there is any escalation between students so it's known it had been going on.

As a teacher (high school), I would have to be in the situation, but students say terrible things to each other all the time. You have to discern what is the bullying part and what isn't.