By the fuck? - 05/03/2016 09:49 - Australia - Hawthorn

Today, I actually had to reassure the girl I'm seeing that she can't "catch" my epilepsy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 737
You deserved it 1 722

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Educate her before you rule her out as stupid

camilax3 15

Even though what she said was highly unintelligent, some people seriously have little to zero knowledge on chronic disorders. You should try and educate her, so she can understand it better.

Comments

shes not dumb, she probably just ignorant of what Epilepsy is. a lot of people dont know what it is.

It’s where you have seizures and stuff like that to right flashing lights. It’s pretty well known

Educate her before you rule her out as stupid

No, but you can use duct tape to make it quieter :D

You can teach people so they will know better so yes, you can fix stupid. Of course, this is only if people are willing to learn.

camilax3 15

Even though what she said was highly unintelligent, some people seriously have little to zero knowledge on chronic disorders. You should try and educate her, so she can understand it better.

I agree! While this sounds extremely silly to most of us, sometimes people are just ignorant to things they haven't been exposed to. Now that you've explained it to her, she'll know from now on. No harm no foul, in my opinion.

MikaykayUnicorn 36

I have had people worry that my hyperthyroidism was contagious. The best thing you can do is educate them so that they will understand. Most people feel foolish once it's explained but it is better that they know than to let them go around thinking false things.

I get the "not understanding things one hasn't been exposed to" thing on a personal level. Somehow one of my closest friends had no idea how dandelions work. She didn't know (until I told her) that the yellow blooms and puffy white seeds were just different stages of the same plant, because she had never seen them change from flower to seed.

If I were you OP, I'd be more worried that I'd catch her stupid.

As long as she wasn't rude about it it's fine. Some people literally just don't get educated on certain things. It's good you let her know anyway.

cheshireau 26

Well, I hope she can get by on her looks because her intelligence just went flying out the door.

Hopefully she just has an easily curable case of ignorantitis and not terminal stupidity.