By Anonymous - 04/09/2009 07:39 - Korea Republic of

Today, I called my girlfriend's parent to ask for her hand in marriage. They were shocked and told me that they would have to refuse. Apparently my girlfriend had told them last week that she had met someone new at work and didn't know how to break it off with me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 55 622
You deserved it 3 010

robocop123426 tells us more.

robocop123426 0

Hi, I'm the author of this post. There are a few things I would like to clarify. First, I am from the south, and it is considered respectful to ask the father for his daughter's hand in marriage. This is usually just a formality, but it shows the parents a lot of respect. This is usually done in person. This has nothing to do with viewing someone as property. This was just a gesture of goodwill to her parents. Nothing more. Second, the reason I didn't ask them in person is because I am stationed in Korea for the next year and I won't be able to see them until sometime next year. I WAS planning on asking my ex when I took leave in November so I thought asking over the phone would be ok. But as you can imagine, that isn't going to happen. Third, the idea of us getting married was her idea. I have been in the military 6 years now and I know what deployments do to relationships. I cared a lot about her and to be honest I still do. This actually happened about 3 weeks ago and it is still shocking since we were together for over 2 years. But, after reading a few of the post on here, I understand it could have been a lot worst. She could have totaled my car or killed my dog. So thanks for all of the well wishes, I appreciate it. For those who laughed at this and said that sucks, you know, your right. It does suck. And yes my life sucks (for now)

Top comments

ouch, I'm sorry. At least you didn't actually ask her.

robocop123426 0

I am from Alabama, a state in the USA. I am serving in South Korea for a 1 year tour.

Comments

ouch, I'm sorry. At least you didn't actually ask her.

birds_fml 7

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

He would MOST likely still ask her even if they said no. It's just a kind and sweet gesture to ask the parents.

I don't really see how it's kind and sweet, you would hope that it would be her making the decision to say yes (or not), not her parents...

It's hard to explain but it's like showing that he cares for her very much and cares about the parents, too. It doesn't relate to the actual approval of getting married. It's just a friendly heads up of "Hey, I want to marry her" which can also be "Hey, you may have grand-kids soon!"

joy1523 0

"Who the hell asks a woman's parent's for permission to marry her?" ...are you serious? how old are you and where do you live? asking the parents permission is about old fashioned courtesy and respect for the parents of your girlfriend (...usually something that is a GOOD trait...), not about actually getting "permission" in the form of a "yes" or "no". also... the parents usually have an idea it might happen, and therefore it would be rare to ever be denied "permission" to marry someone's daughter - which is exactly why this is an FML....

Just cos something is old fashioned doesn't make it good. The fact remains that this tradition is from the days that women were considered property.

bonnieandclyde44 0
boreddoubletears 0

Normall people ask for the parents' blessing, meaning approval, not necessarily permission. It just signifies respect for your (hopefully) future parents in law, and that you respect their opinion of you.

luigisf 0

95, just shut up, this is the kind of ignorance that is killing our culture. the poor guy cared enough about her gf that he made a commitment to respect her parents. too bad she was a b though...

lol firstly you are a fool for having no respect for other people's cultures. secondly do you understand how the horrible-inlaws cliche came to be? no matter how horrible the parents of ones partner might be, usually the partner still has feelings for them because you know they are their parents and its therefore usually a good idea to have a good working relationship with the parents regardless of your personal views

"...And he cried, There goes my life. There goes my future, my everything. I love you. Baby good-bye. There goes my life. There goes my life. Baby good-bye...."

You always reply with lyrics from really bad songs that are either country or sound like Nickelback :( This would be way cooler if you replied with indie music.

How the fuq is copying and pasting bad lyrics creative?!?!? I vote negatie to all the lyrics

Oh, I remember that song from the movie 21. :P

thanks Mercy, and i have replied with a few that werent country- the reason i didnt before is because i usually use ones i know off by heart. click on the chainsaw one :)

gethightonight 0

it'd be a lot better if the lyrics were your own. But i appreciate what you do anyways. thx :)

I have changed a few a bit, not wrote my own, but modified real- i modified ticks on im not even sure which FML, and Because i got high on the new one about the chainsaw.

Not creative at all. Actually even more sad now that I know you're a dude. Based on all the whiney "She left me" lyrics, I assumed you were a little girl starting her journey through puberty. Dude, get a better taste in music. And stop copy and pasting. It doesn't add to your personality, unless of course your personality consists of being a douche, then please continue...

it sorta sucks that you'll always reply with lyrics but your screen name thingy sounds cool.

Glam_fml 0

As much as it hurts, it is better to find out now rather than later.

at least they were honest, they couldve just let you ask her and look like a fool

myhairynutsack 0

meh. It's not the end of the world, we're all hit with stuff like that but we make it through. Continue on your path and you'll find better things.

Ow. Your girlfriend's a wimp for not being honest with you. Ditch her and let her come crawling back.

youthink_fml 0