By anonymous - 06/07/2016 13:53 - United States

Today, I got a question wrong on an exam. The question started with, "In your opinion..." FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 639
You deserved it 1 992

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Opinion is not synonomous with wild incoherent BS. If you can't defend your opinion with logic, then it should be marked wrong.

Unfortunately, exams never want your opinion. What this really means is, "Write a balanced answer based on facts from both sides". It sucks and it's annoying, but that's how it is! Took me a while to get to grips with it but once it clicks, you'll be fine! And it's actually easier to write like that in the end

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It was likely short answer. And OP probably got it wrong because she was unable to coherently and logically state her opinion, unable to support it with evidence, or her opinion disregarded known facts (e.g., the earth is flat).

Not always true, I had an English teacher who marked opinion questions wrong if they didn't match her own. Even if the problem was brought to her attention she refused to fix it.

If I saw a multiple choice opinion question I would just get up and leave the exam room.

How do you even have a multiple choice 'in your opinion' test question? A survey question, I'd understand. A test question in this style seems useless.

Maybe you didn't voice your opinion clearly enough? Did you go off on a tangent? Was your opinion lacking supportive evidence? I'm not really sure how this is an FML, just because the question is to be answered with an opinion doesn't mean that there are no wrong answers.

Unfortunately, exams never want your opinion. What this really means is, "Write a balanced answer based on facts from both sides". It sucks and it's annoying, but that's how it is! Took me a while to get to grips with it but once it clicks, you'll be fine! And it's actually easier to write like that in the end

No, no. An opinion piece can definitely be part of an exam. It is used to exemplify critical thinking, logic, research and more. It all depends on the exam. If a maths exam, be concerned.

"Write a balanced answer based on facts from both sides." If I was grading an opinion question with that I would mark it wrong. All that shows is that you can write down some facts on a piece of paper. The point of opinion questions is to show that you can then take those facts and formulate an opinion supported with evidence from them. If you just state facts from both sides that's pretty much the opposite of an opinion.

Reminds me of my religious study exams. They would start questions with "In your opinion..." But then ask you to back it up with bible quotes. You quickly learnt that they meant "In your opinion, from a Christian viewpoint..." Which as an atheist wasn't my opinion at all. Different exams want you to answer things in different ways. Op, I'm sure if you ask your teacher they'll go through it with you and explain where you went wrong and what you can do to improve. I'm sure it was a simple mistake and you can learn from it, good luck!

Sorry, but are you insinuating that personal opinions, based on emotion and bias, are better than positions taken based on reasoned argument and backed up by facts?

This really can't be an FML, there are no wrong answers in a question where you have to state your opinion. It's what you personally believe. I say go to the department head/principal and inform them of what happened so that they can fix the situation.

Opinion is not synonomous with wild incoherent BS. If you can't defend your opinion with logic, then it should be marked wrong.

that's... just like your opinon man seriously though if OPs opinion is incoherent bullshit it's still OPs opinion. if you want facts ask for facts, if you ask for opinions accept opinions. opinions don't have to be supported by facts else every goddamn religion would shut the **** up but they dont... because its their opinion and they are entitled to it no matter how laughable

I agree with you, but I had a twatwaffle of a teacher who even after I used facts and cited the book (it was english class) told me my opinion was wrong because he doesn't agree with it and therefore could only give me a B.

I'm only commenting to tell you I just about choked when I read 'twatwaffle'! Best insult ever!

@37: I have had to write opinion essays several times and I can tell you there is a difference. Most often these are not graded for what your opinion is, but how you can formulate and defend it. If it is wrong, it is not because your opinion is wrong, but because your formulation and/or logic is wrong. Unless of course you have a 'twatwaffle' of a teacher :P. That is my insult of the week now :P.

Agreed. An opinion should be based on logic and at least a minimum of research on points to from both sides. Then you choose which side you're on and you should be able to defend why. Why you agree with the point to on your side, and why you disagree with other points.

Can we make this a rule for politicians?

In defense of whoever graded it, if I saw someone answered "in my opinion, the moon landing is a conspiracy, and the illuminati is running the US government" I would mark it wrong

Don't forget jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

species4872 19

That's a nice little face you got there. Very creative.

Your opinion can be wrong if it isn't found in reality. If you can't provide evidence or a reason for your opinion, it is fundamentally wrong. A lot of people don't seem to realize this.

Most politicians get elected based on factually incorrect opinions that their voters believe... global warming is a hoax... cough... illegals are all rapists... cough... women's body shuts down when raped...etc.

I'm pretty sure OP knows what they did wrong. I never understood why everyone has to give a lecture.

If OP knew what they did wrong, and they were wrong to do it, why post it as an FML?

Because they have a chance on something getting posted for other people to enjoy their obvious mistake. Isn't this site for entertainment?

Regardless if OP knows what they did wrong, they also know that by submitting this to FML, they are going to get comments of various natures. This includes lectures, support, useless comments, trolls, etc.

I get the frustration, but they probably expected you to support your opinion with facts or logic.

"Mississippi" As someone who also grew up and was educated in MS, I can say it's not your fault. If you say anything other that hate-speech against <insert group here> your answer is wrong as far as they are concerned.

flyingflies 36

Yeah, man, those chemical reactions, they're not to be trusted. And don't even get me started on the laws of physics, they are some sketchy mofos

Did you grow up in the 60s? Don't get me wrong, still a lot of racist assholes there, but that's mostly old people and plenty of the younger people realize that their grandparents were wrong.

Uh no, I went to high school in the mid-2000s And it was still racist af. you'd hear staff members bemoaning "them n*****s" regularly for instance. The school was also all white and wouldn't let persons of colour in.