By thanksforallyoursupportmomanddad - 10/11/2015 20:46 - United States - Arlington

Today, I overheard my parents talking about my husband. Apparently, they think he's a nice guy and all, but they don't really see him as "husband material." They think I would have been better off with my ex, who doesn't have a job and hurt me both physically and mentally. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 077
You deserved it 1 646

Same thing different taste

Top comments

mermaidkeels 26

Good thing that it's your decision and not theirs. As long as you're happy, I'm sure they'll come around.

Unfortunately, people who abuse their SO's are typically very charming and manipulative to everyone around them. If your husband makes you happy, they will be fine. But your husband does not have to prove himself to them, as marriage was a decision between you and him :)

Comments

I guess your parents still have that first impression of your ex!!

First impressions should really go down the shitter when they start abusing their significant other.

He was just saying they were charmed by him enough to not see thorough his abuse

MzZombicidal 36

#24, they know what he was saying. #15 was just saying that if your child, or anyone for that matter, is getting abused, a charming personality should not save the abuser or their reputation. Ever.

mermaidkeels 26

Good thing that it's your decision and not theirs. As long as you're happy, I'm sure they'll come around.

My dad always thought he did too, especially with girls. I was with my most recent girlfriend for almost 5 years, he disliked her from day 1 and I always ignored him and his reasons and did my own thing anyways as I had my own place. When it came down to it and we finally broke up.. He was right for all the right reasons! Like he always is.. (God damn she was sexy though, I was thinking with the wrong head for sure ) So.. Long story kind of short.. I just listen to my dad now, I learned my lesson that yes, your parents do know you better then you know yourself, and do yourself a favor and take their word as gold

So OP should have married someone who was abusive and not someone kind who treats her right just because their parents were easily manipulated by said abuser? You clearly need to grow up...

Some parents only think with overprotectiveness as well, seen all the in law stories on here? Think over your parents words, but don't automatically listen to them. Think over their reasons for thinking that way about your partner. But parents can be extremely wrong as well, as shown here.

Give them time to see that your current parter is better for you!

Unfortunately, people who abuse their SO's are typically very charming and manipulative to everyone around them. If your husband makes you happy, they will be fine. But your husband does not have to prove himself to them, as marriage was a decision between you and him :)

It's hard for others to understand from a bystander's point of view, especially in an abusive situation. It doesn't always register. So don't be upset with them, it's your decision not theirs! If anything, just sit down and talk to them about how you feel. Best of luck to you and your husband, I hope your parents learn to be more accepting.

leogachi 15

I wonder what goes on in their marriage if they think that those kinds of things are okay.

I've gotta admit, it sounds like your ex would be better suited to carry on the family tradition of belittling your opinion and disregarding what is best for you.