By extrashiftwhoo - 04/11/2016 13:59 - Australia - Preston

Today, I really didn't want to go to work. Still, I showed up for work early on the busiest night of the week and stayed back until past 10 p.m. Exhausted, I went to sign off the roster when I realised that, in fact, I was not rostered on for today at all. I'm on tomorrow, though. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 883
You deserved it 3 523

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CAT47LOVE 19

just talk to your boss, im sure he will understand. if not then YDI anyway for not making sure you actually work that day. hope everything worked out.

And no one said anything? I hope it's just because the place busy and no one realised, not that anyone was taking advantage of you.

Comments

And no one said anything? I hope it's just because the place busy and no one realised, not that anyone was taking advantage of you.

That sucks but it's on you for not being able to read your schedule or roster. Hope you like working for free unless you have a cool boss.

nattlecakes 19

"Cool boss" or not you can't legally do free work under an employer. OP has to get paid, they just don't get a day off in this case

i wonder what you gain from being an asshole for no reason

Do they actually have to pay him? It's kind of a weird case, true a lot of this depends on what kind of job / work OP does. It's a weird scenario because OP's boss did not ask OP to come in nor authorize possible overtime (depending on how many hours OP has already worked that pay period). So is this something a business has to cover (anytime an employee decides to show up and work regardless of a schedule) or did OP indeed put in some free hours. It would be nice for OP to get compensation but regardless it's a lesson learned. Honestly don't know the answer.

This would be an interesting legal case to handle. I don't know laws in Victoria (or all of Australia, for that matter), but in Canada there are protections for the employer so employees can't just show up and do work and demand money. Of course the purpose of the law is not to disadvantage people in honest mistakes or miscommunications, so if you want to know the "spirit" of the law, even if the employer isn't legally required to pay OP, I could see OP having a legal case for demanding wages. Of course, this is all hypothetical and based on my assumptions. Just sort of thinking out loud here.

In the US, an employer would always have to pay under Federal law. I'd think any modern country would have similar regulations.

When I used to work for Walmart they was ask(tell them they had to) people to work "volunteer" time and vaguely imply that if they didn't they would get the shifts no one wanted because they weren't a "team" player that was if they would schedule them at all for two weeks

Walmart isn't a great example to use because they're terrible employers. And a pretty terrible company in general. That situation is different because they actually get the employee's consent to work sometimes for free. Thus the employee has no case to get paid for those hours.

It is against Walmart company policy to work off the clock. Not only is it bolded in the employee handbook it was posted throughout employee areas. Also depending on what job you do, you wouldn't be able to perform your job as you need to be clocked in to use any electronic equipment.

CAT47LOVE 19

just talk to your boss, im sure he will understand. if not then YDI anyway for not making sure you actually work that day. hope everything worked out.

yeah but it was their day off regardless, I worship all of my time off

foxesntea 22

Oh op, I'm sorry that's happen to me before. I went to work one day when I wasn't scheduled luckily my boss and I just had a laugh about it and she let me have the next day off, I hope your boss is understanding especially because you came and they clearly needed you.

(Morgan Freeman voice) It was at this moment he knew he ****** up

Yarecho 14

Um, yea you do deserve it. When it comes to that, you should be more observant.