By ChestExploding - 20/11/2013 23:53 - United States - Greensboro

Today, I tripped and fell, damaging my sternum and making it incredibly painful to breathe in or out too much. About ten minutes later, I got the hiccups. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 060
You deserved it 3 262

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Damaging? Sounds like a doctors visit is in order. Ever heard of a cracked diaphragm? Yeah I can only imagine the pain you're feeling.

Comments

It'll help with the pain OP has when breathing.

Pssh it does for me, it doesn't hurt to try.

Then she passes out after not being able to regain her breath. 15- In this case it does hurt to try.

StompinOnCrayons 15

Yay ! The first of the useless home remedies ! "eat only fish for a fortnight " "dance to smooth jazz" "bathe in your mother's tears" "cover yourself in chicken blood and - " Just exaggerated examples. Well, exaggerated for now

The best instant cure is a spoonful of sugar.

@1. You are correct. The best remedy for getting rid of hiccups is holding your breath for 30 seconds.....and die. At least the pain goes away too. XP

Is everyone unaware of the fact that even if you do hold your own breath and somehow manage to pass out from it that you won't die. When you pass out your body begins to breath on its own again.

RedPillSucks 31

Not while they're unconscious. So the trick to be unconscious as much as possible. Hold still, while I get my bat.

Breathe in through your mouth then swallow twice and breathe out through your nose and they will gone (I know this won't help OP because he can't breathe too well)

FML64128 7

Stand up, bend over, put your head between your legs (upside down), and swallow about three small mouthfuls of your saliva. Instant cure, looks weird though.

incoherentrmblr 21

#75, If you're not allergic to nuts that is...

3- I'm imagining a swan dive on a fire hydrant would about do it. ;P

crazytwinsmom 25

Falling on the end of a ski pole, happened to my Mom.

Sitting_Ducki 8

Something just had to hit her chest directly

Redoxx_fml 22

Damaging? Sounds like a doctors visit is in order. Ever heard of a cracked diaphragm? Yeah I can only imagine the pain you're feeling.

This reminded me of how I cracked multiple ribs last year. I almost teared up just at the thought of it, can't even imagine a cracked sternum!

AnOriginalName 19

I broke a rib and didn't even know about it 'til a year later, when I went in for chest x-rays to check for pneumonia. I'm my own worst enemy. Oh, right. The diaphragm is a muscle which helps you to breathe. So cracking a diaphragm would take a quite a feat of strength or heroics, I'd imagine.

I've heard of many types of cracked diaphragms. Just never in relation to a person.

I'm still sure that I cracked mine about a year ago. I just refuse to go to the doctor and have them look at it. My chest still hurts to this day

54) same way men can fracture their penis. I promise it can happen.

52 - Your chest has been paining you for a year now and you "refuse" to go to a doctor? Are you contending for the Darwin Award or something?

Cracking or "breaking" is possible in any anatomical muscle in the human body. Muscles can be ripped, torn, cracked, broken, swollen, shriveled, and even blown. For those that don't know, the diaphragm is a rather soft muscle, ergo why it is protected by the whole of the sternum, save for around one square inch of area right between the ribs. To put it simply.. OP needs to go to a doctor. A check up isn't expensive, and it'd be worth it if you don't want to live like 52 up there.

AnOriginalName 19

And sometimes those little jokes make the universe come across as a bit of a dick.

Phoebe_Buffay 14

Take 7 small sips of water. Works for me every time

Hold your breath. That supposedly helps cute hiccups and since breathing is painful anyway, it's a win-win.

Woah... if these are cute hiccups, I wonder what the ugly ones are like.

I meant cure lol. But I'd image cute hiccups are the little mousey ones and the ugly hiccups are the ones that could wake up a house.

silverhuntress 4

Ouch!!! Hold your breath for as long as you can and take a big gulp of water without breathing. That always works for me!