Healthcare scandal

By itsjustnotfair - This FML is from back in 2009 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, my dentist asked me about my fillings, so I told him that when I was younger, I had 2 cavities. He replied, "No you didn't. I just looked at your x-rays." Turns out my old dentist ripped me off. I never needed fillings. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 956
You deserved it 2 620

Same thing different taste

Top comments

that's malpractice! He could get in serious trouble for that, such as having his license revoked. I would report him. He could potentially hurt someone, not to mention scamming many people, and the healthcare system.

Now I wanna be a dentist when I grow up.

Comments

To all telling her to "get over it". Fillings, etc. cost a lot of money, insured or not. It's still an FML because she didn't need them in the first place and had to go through the pain of having them.

Sophia93 0

YDI. How could you not know if you had cavities or not when you were younger?

This is not a YDI. Sometimes you can't feel them if they're small. I had three small ones that I got from having my braces on for four years, and I couldn't feel them.

That sucks. Same thing happened to me. Luckily we didn't have to pay out of pocket. The guy said that "they were very tiny cavities, but they need to be filled." Yeah, right. Sorry you were ripped off.

Stan: You mean at some point in this doctor's life he decided he wanted to look at people's asses? Chef: That's right. Kyle: What a dick!

GrkGrl 0

When I was younger I was told I had SIX cavaties. I went to another dentist to see what they would say because it sounded ridiculous, and they said I had NONE. Dentist's do that shit to get money out of us since we wouldn't know the truth.

Okay. Dentists are scam-artists. They charge you the maximum. If you ask them if you can get a better deal, they'll charge you less. For example, people on welfare or UI pay the bare minimum. People who have dental insurance however, are charged more because the dentists can get more money from your insurance company. A lot of dentists do dentistry work on you without you even needing it because your insurance pays most of it. Another example, if someone has 100% dental insurance, the dentist they have will do EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to get money from their insurance company. It's just how it works.

Some dentists are more conservative than others and won't fill small cavities, in the hopes that the tooth will remineralize and the cavity will go away. Others will fill whatever they see. Sometimes even the smallest looking cavity (clinically) will prove to be huge when you start drilling into the tooth. Prevention is key. It is very possible that the new dentist does not have the records of this patient from when they were 'younger'. So no x-ray to compare the current situation to. With no "before" x-ray, you can't tell if this person had a cavity or not. There are also many cavities which won't show on an x-ray initially but are detected clinically (with the explorer - the hook shaped instrument). In this case, even if the dentist had old x-rays, he still couldn't reach that conclusion. (I'm a dental student)

That sounds very reasonable. Thanks for posting more applicable information. (Same goes for #80)

I think this FML was stupid, and not really funny.

Of course it's not funny, she got ripped off. How on earth would that be funny?

Hi there, I'm currently a dental student and one thing I've noticed is that many dentists have different philosophies on determining whether decay is present or not. I'm not saying that either dentist is right or wrong, and I'm not saying all dentists are angels when comes to determining work needed. If you've had the fillings done and there are previous x-rays then your new dentist can interpret them as they wish. But, if he doesn't have your old ones, then there is NO way he can tell whether you needed the fillings or not. And for all those comments saying we're trying to swindle people out of money, the majority of us are just trying to cover our butts when it comes to lawsuits. For example, if a cavity is there and "very small" it is technically malpractice NOT to fill them because there's a good chance it will become bigger, and possibly hit your nerve which would require a root canal (MUCH more expensive than a filling). Anyway, I hope this clears things up. I'm not taking a side of either dentist because either could be right or wrong.