Late stage capitalism

By Cron - 28/08/2022 00:00

Today, my time-off request was denied because I'd said on my application that I have “open availability.” This is normally true, except my mother passed away and I need to travel to go to her funeral. I attempted to appeal, but ended up fired for “misleading” the company by “lying on a job application.” FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 561
You deserved it 104

Same thing different taste

Top comments

There's a clear difference between "being available to come in every damn day" and "I need a little time off to MOURN MY MOTHERS DEATH".

sorry for your loss. I'd fight them tooth and nail and apply for unemployment. time off requests are still valid with open availability and they cannot deny emergency leave

Comments

Sorry for both your loss as a son and their loss of anything resembling sanity.

sorry for your loss. I'd fight them tooth and nail and apply for unemployment. time off requests are still valid with open availability and they cannot deny emergency leave

There's a clear difference between "being available to come in every damn day" and "I need a little time off to MOURN MY MOTHERS DEATH".

My condolences for your loss. That's one of the most asinine corporate shenanigans I've read about. Most companies provide some sort of bereavement leave policy. I'd advise to talk with an employment attorney about possible wrongful termination.

Blobby McGee 5

You are better off not working for people like that.

I always have trouble with that question on the job application: My mom is: mortal ___ immortal ___ I always check "mortal" to be safe, but I hope I'm wrong.

So sorry for your loss. I would apply for unemployment. If the unemployment office asks why you were terminated you can say I had to go to my mothers funeral.

If you were super new and hadn't earned any time off I can Sort of see that. But as much as it sucks, you definitely are better off not there. You truly learn how good a company is in how it treats its employees with time off. Mine lumps sick time and vacation together and if you don't have the time, gives you points each day you are sick. Only a certain amount of people can be "out" so even if you have the time, you can still get a point bc someone else already took the day off. Oh and they use those same points for behavior. 15 and you are fired no question. I'm currently looking for a different job that has a better time off policy seeing as I'm at 14 and one more sick day is the end for me. Or one more behavior issue. and the only way to get Rid of the points is to have perfect attendance for a month. So I have to do that 14 months to get back to 0....yeah...some companies suck with how they handle that.