Permission denied

By Eliz - 20/07/2022 00:00

Today, I decided it was a good day to get my first tattoo since turning 18. Today, my parents decided it was a good day to make me homeless, because they are religious nutjobs that still live in the 19th century. Oh, and they’re no longer paying for my tuition. FML
I agree, your life sucks 707
You deserved it 1 280

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I guess no one ever told you Rule Number One of having crazy, authoritarian nut jobs for parents: wait until you’re on your own to do all the cool shit you always wanted to do. Like get a tattoo. Or date someone of the same sex or different race or whatever consenting adult you choose. Or buy clothes that don’t look stupid, if your parents are level-70 or above insane.

mcsmee 7

Decisions have consequences. You've known your parents your entire life, so you probably knew that they didn't approve of that sort of thing, yet you did it anyway. You don't have to like their beliefs, but now that you're legally an adult, they don't have to support you when you mock them.

Comments

mcsmee 7

Decisions have consequences. You've known your parents your entire life, so you probably knew that they didn't approve of that sort of thing, yet you did it anyway. You don't have to like their beliefs, but now that you're legally an adult, they don't have to support you when you mock them.

As both a young person and a tattooed person, you probably did this to yourself. First of all, your parents choosing to pay for your tuition to begin with is an incredibly generous thing to do, but they are by NO means, required to do so. Secondly, most kids know their parents hate or like tattoos before they turn 18, so Chances are you probably knew how they felt about it. It definitely sucks that they kicked you out and I do agree it is such an outdated thought process, but they are not worth risks in this case. You should’ve waited to get a tattoo. It is a want, not a necessity, and actions have consequences. I do hope everything works out for the best though, it is definitely a shitty situation to be in. Always do your best to learn from your mistakes, it’ll help you fail forward, OP.

LiquIDMeow 6

I didn't ask to be born, they brought me here, because they wanted to, but they're also not obligated to provide for my stable future? Do you hear yourself?

no they are not obligated for your future. do you hear yourself? you sound entitled. most people pay for their own college and either leave or get kicked out of their parents house as soon as they turn 18. your an adult. get a job and pay for a place to live

I guess no one ever told you Rule Number One of having crazy, authoritarian nut jobs for parents: wait until you’re on your own to do all the cool shit you always wanted to do. Like get a tattoo. Or date someone of the same sex or different race or whatever consenting adult you choose. Or buy clothes that don’t look stupid, if your parents are level-70 or above insane.

True story. And wait until they have finished paying tuition too.

You need to be financially independent before you engage in conformist bullshit like tattooing.

I'd bet money they were just looking for an excuse, and would have kicked you out for something else equally ridiculous if you hadn't gotten a tattoo. Also if you offered to pay rent they'd probably change their tune real quick. Though honestly your probably better off getting way from that environment.

Did they make this decision because of your desire to get a tattoo, or because you just turned 18 (i.e. a legal adult)? I get parents wanting their kids to be independent, but with the state of the world right now, many people are still living with their parents, siblings, or at least roommates to help make ends meet. It's just hard to make it on your own these days. So I don't get why parents kick their kids out and cut them off completely as soon as they turn 18.