By lowly worker - 08/04/2017 18:00

Today, I nearly lost a hand at work, because a supervisor decided to remove a 'useless' safety guard on a machine despite my warnings. He doesn't understand why I'm so upset with him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 698
You deserved it 424

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JadeMinu 10

Time to find a better job that actually puts your safety first..That's completely reckless and irresponsible of him.

Comments

JadeMinu 10

Time to find a better job that actually puts your safety first..That's completely reckless and irresponsible of him.

That'd be an option until 3 months ago. Now, all regulations are impediments to business.

darkenedone 27

Perhaps file a grievance or call a lawyer.

call occupational health and safety your boss will listen to them when they cram fines down their throat

mcruff 12

Sounds like you should be the supervisor

Jorgen_fml 16

Let your manager know. He/she could get into serious trouble for that, or get fired.

Shadowvoid 33

If you had lost your hand because of that, you could have sued them for enough that you would never have to work again.

mariri9206 32

Yeah, that's a total OSHA violation and you should definitely report them. Normally, I'd say take it to HR or their higher up first but there's no guarantee they'll do anything or that your supervisor will listen and this is your safety and your life that they're risking.

Why would you operate a machine that was missing a safety guard that could cost you a hand?

Because he advised the supervisor not to remove the safety measures and the supervisor removed it anyway. He didn't know it.

mariri9206 32

Pretty sure they'd be able to tell it's missing.

I dunno. Every job I've ever worked involving machinery included a safety check of the tools or machines before operation. But even if they didn't, if someone told me they were going to remove a safety guard that could remove my hand, I'd be damned sure I made sure it was still there before using it.

soo your blaming the victim in this situation? the supervisor illegally removes safety features from equipment, and the guy almost gets horrifyingly injured and its his fault?