This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By MeBroken - 06/04/2017 06:00 - United States - Alden

Today, after saving for 3 years, I woke up with enough money to buy my first nice car with a small loan to cover the rest. Then I spilled a drink on my laptop. My computer-savvy boyfriend insisted turning it off and letting it dry out would fix it. Nope. Maybe next year, dream car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 539
You deserved it 1 262

Top comments

tigak47 0

You didn't have enough money for the car if you didn't have an emergency fund to cover stuff like your laptop. Sorry about your laptop though, that sucks.

CaliChris 9

Pretty sure your laptop was broken the moment you spilled on it, no matter what advice your boyfriend gave you.

Comments

tigak47 0

You didn't have enough money for the car if you didn't have an emergency fund to cover stuff like your laptop. Sorry about your laptop though, that sucks.

LudA9844 11

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
species4872 19

For ***** sake Pencil, microwave? really?

species4872 19

You do realize that there are people who will actually do that. By the way enjoy a lot of your comments.

Oh, thanks. In almost all cases, when you first spill on the electronics, they become instantly and irreversibly damaged. Also, people shouldn't get tech support from FML comments!

I'd be more interested in hearing the untold story of how you "woke up" with enough money. Did you lose all your teeth and get a huge payout from the tooth fairy? Are you a mild-mannered office worker by day who robs banks in her sleep?! Are you a counterfeiter who uses photoreceptive paper that needed sunlight before the ink would display properly?!? Tell us!!

galacticstorm 6

If the tooth fairy thing is true, I should have saved up my baby teeth until now. i could use a nice, new car. XD

itssnotfunny 24

They probably have direct deposit and got paid that night. I woke up richer today than I was yesterday.

CaliChris 9

Pretty sure your laptop was broken the moment you spilled on it, no matter what advice your boyfriend gave you.

if you Turn it off soon enough and than clean it with alcohol you have a very good chance of saving laptop. Trust me I'm future electrical engineer ;)

if you Turn it off soon enough and than clean it with alcohol you have a very good chance of saving laptop. Trust me I'm future electrical engineer ;)

Vampirequeen346 8

I think you should not worry so much about your laptop and worry more about getting the car. A car is more valuable and important than a laptop..

Depending on what you do for a living, and where you live, a laptop might be way more important.

species4872 19

If your laptop was not on you could have removed batt and put it in a sealed container with Silica Gel which will absorb all moisture out. If it was on, well depends upon how conductive the liquid is and how far it penetrated inside. Either way luck is on your side or not. The car is a shame, still as they say good things come to those who wait.

thelastgod51 1

What do you consider a "nice car" that the cost of a laptop gets in the way of buying? especially for a year. Most cars mid level and up are 20 grand minimum a laptop is a few hundred to maybe a 2000 for a really ridiculously nice one.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you're about to spends tens of thousands of dollars, I don't see how a few hundred dollars can make or break you. If it took you 3 years to save (which makes it sound like you have quite a bit of cash) AND you're getting a loan, I just can't figure out how a laptop would ruin things. I'm sorry this happened to you, I'm just confused.

my laptop was about 3500$ but then it's also direct drive and all that stuff.

imnotcleverenoughforthis 14

Maybe she needs a Mac for her occupation. If that's the case, you're looking at $900 minimum, and that's without a disc drive.I'm with the other commenters tho, I don't quite understand how this broke the car budget for a year. Sucks that it happened, I'm just confused

Tbh you could probably still manage both unless the replacement laptop runs into the thousands. Would definitely recommend insuring it next time!

Electronics take ages to dry out. Give your laptop a couple of weeks before you declare it dead, assuming you can get by without it for that long.

While this won't help you now - if you are a renter call your insurance company and see if they offer laptop protection. It is usually about $1 or so a month and you'll have a deductible to replace it but it will save you the cost of a full purchase. I've had mine replaced 3 times because of the damn cat spilling drinks. Good luck!