By Jen_NM - 16/12/2013 18:16 - United States - San Antonio

Today, my OCD has got so bad that I took over 10 pictures of my house's power outlets before leaving, just so I could view them later to reassure myself that no appliances were plugged in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 236
You deserved it 6 523

Jen_NM tells us more.

Thanks for all the comments, I've enjoyed reading them. Just for a little background, my biggest issue is my hair straightener. Years ago I left it unplugged and caused a burn to the countertop. Since then I obsessively check to make sure it's off, and now other things make me paranoid as well. OCD behaviors are strange, because you often know that you're being completely irrational. Anyhow, I'm really trying to ease up and lately I've managed to get by with just the one picture to reassure myself that the straightening iron is unplugged. I do plan to get help if it progresses, but can't really afford it at this time.

Top comments

jazzy_123 20

At least you're saving money. I never unplug anything >,<

I'm probably going to get thumbed down for this, but that honestly sounds worthy of treatment of some sort. What's next, pictures of your pictures to make sure those first ones are real?

Comments

middlenamefrank 8

Honey, you need to get some help. There are treatments and medications available; you don't have to live in that sort of hell. Even if you're not insured and can't afford it, there are places that can help you. Best of luck in getting healthier.

You've just solved a big problem for me. Thank you. How did I not think of that?

That's brilliant! It helps soothe your OCD to a degree.

Not long ago I saw an old cartoon PSA on Youtube reminding people to unplug everything before going to bed at night for safety reasons. Someone replied that if you did that now you'd be up until 3 in the morning. Also I guess refrigerators or "ice boxes" or whatever they were called didn't run on electricity back then. :) Seriously though having OCD is awful and I hope things work out for you, OP.

braceany 11

That's a really clever way to help ease the mind. Doesn't solve your problems, but still smart none the less!

I struggle with OCD as well. Perhaps making an appointment with a psychologist who specializes in the disorder would be of some help to you. Best of luck!

I hope you realize how much effort we put in slipping into your house and plugging those things back in. Yesterday, we were worried that you had seen us working on the things in your fridge.