By Jen_NM - 16/12/2013 18:16 - United States - San Antonio

Today, my OCD has got so bad that I took over 10 pictures of my house's power outlets before leaving, just so I could view them later to reassure myself that no appliances were plugged in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 235
You deserved it 6 523

Jen_NM tells us more.

Thanks for all the comments, I've enjoyed reading them. Just for a little background, my biggest issue is my hair straightener. Years ago I left it unplugged and caused a burn to the countertop. Since then I obsessively check to make sure it's off, and now other things make me paranoid as well. OCD behaviors are strange, because you often know that you're being completely irrational. Anyhow, I'm really trying to ease up and lately I've managed to get by with just the one picture to reassure myself that the straightening iron is unplugged. I do plan to get help if it progresses, but can't really afford it at this time.

Top comments

jazzy_123 20

At least you're saving money. I never unplug anything >,<

I'm probably going to get thumbed down for this, but that honestly sounds worthy of treatment of some sort. What's next, pictures of your pictures to make sure those first ones are real?

Comments

Thanks for all the comments, I've enjoyed reading them. Just for a little background, my biggest issue is my hair straightener. Years ago I left it unplugged and caused a burn to the countertop. Since then I obsessively check to make sure it's off, and now other things make me paranoid as well. OCD behaviors are strange, because you often know that you're being completely irrational. Anyhow, I'm really trying to ease up and lately I've managed to get by with just the one picture to reassure myself that the straightening iron is unplugged. I do plan to get help if it progresses, but can't really afford it at this time.

Have to say at least you have a good reason for the OCD. Pictures to help you reassure yourself is a good idea. Welcome to the OCD family OP.

perdix 29

#46, actually, you need to distinguish between obsessive-compulsive Behavior from full-blown OCD. It's only a disorder when it starts ruining your life. I was just looking for a power converter for overseas travel and the salesman specifically mentioned hair straighteners as THE item that could **** them up, even though the rating should work. Those things are a menace -- you're not crazy for wanting to make sure you haven't left it plugged in!

Or take a picture of the straighter not plugged into the wall

Are you sure you took pictures of ALL the plugs? You might have missed one.

Hey OP, I also suffer from OCD and moderate anxiety. I would obsess and worry over little things and it was starting to affect me. I went to my normal physician about it to see what he would suggest, and he put me on a low dose of antidepressant-just for 6 months to give my mind a reset-it has worked wonders, and is relatively cheap:) I don't know how you feel about medicines like that, I was very wary of the long term effects or addiction because some can be, but my particular one didn't change my personality, was easy to come off of when the time came, and the only long term effect was that I am now much more in control of my worries and emotions :) maybe it's something worth trying:)

kellyem2 20

You've actually come up with a really smart way to reassure yourself. My mom is the same way, though she mostly worries about the coffee pot being plugged in when she leaves (her house caught fire with her in it as a teenager which has left some paranoia). I can't tell you how many times we've had to turn around and come home while on a trip to make sure that everything was unplugged. I might suggest that she adopt your method as a way to help reassure herself. I do hope that you do manage to get some help long-term though, OP so these kinds of things get easier to manage. Best of luck!

Great OP. I've been going to therapy, and it's been helping some, though I refused to take the meds. It's your decision. Hope you can get help soon OP! Good luck!

ThatFancyPenn 18

@72, um, that's what OP does already ..

I feel your pain. I have OCD as well but not about things being plugged in. But taking 10 photos is a good sign, because it has not progressed as far as it could. I take about 100 photos everytime I leave the house...

It's very bad that I considered doing this to help ease my anxiety. I have the exact same thing with my hair straighteners! (Depression and anxiety, no OCD) It's branching out to other issues now, feel silly nervous when leaving the house. :S

I have OCD. When I unplug cords, I'll do a silly dance so that even if I don't remember un-plugging the cord, I'll remember the dance. I read this idea in a book, but it works for me!

"You have mental problems man!" "Yeah you have mental problems..."

I don't know much about OCD, but it seems like taking the pictures would be a hell of a lot better than turning around to check after you got to your destination. Perhaps this is just the first step in learning to manage your condition, so no need to feel bad. Good luck op; we're rooting for ya!

dangermouse2990 19

That's kinda a good coping skill....maybe I'm wrong from a medical standpoint but still

graceinsheepwear 33
danidanidani 10

I used to have really bad OCD like this I know how it feels Op:(