By socksxox - 02/05/2016 21:19 - United Kingdom - London

Today, I want on a date with a man I met on the internet. While talking over drinks, I asked him what he did for a living. He said he was a salesman, and that he's really good at it. Interested, I asked him what it was he sold. "Cannabis." FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 926
You deserved it 1 735

socksxox tells us more.

Hey guys, OP here! Must confess, this actually happened to my mum, who really isn't a fan of weed. If it had happened to me it wouldnt have been such a big deal but for a middle class woman in her 40's its a bit of a shocking statement on a first date! That coupled with the fact he kept suggesting to her that they should get a hotel room was enough to send her running!

Top comments

While I personally think it's silly that marijuana is illegal, I can't blame your mother for not wanting to date someone who sells it. Hell, I wouldn't want to get involved with anyone who sells an illegal substance, regardless of how I feel about the law and the substance itself.

Comments

Sounds like he makes a decent living. Why so harsh?

Because he's an unabashed criminal, maybe?

I don't think it's illegal in London. so he's not necessarily a criminal

He sounds like a straight forward guy. He didnt lie. Im glad your mom just left.

neuronerd 28

I found out 4 months into dating a guy that he was one of the biggest weed dealers in my city (I don't smoke, so I had no idea). I have to admit it was a turn off, mostly because I don't like to involve myself with anyone who has or is on the way to having a criminal record, especially if he's paying for the date with money from illegal activities. That said, a different ex of mine used to own a medicinal Marijuana shop in Oregon, and I saw no problem with it.

It's funny how you can define hypocrisy and not be aware of it...

It's not hypocritical. The shops in Oregon aren't illegal. Dealing on the street elsewhere is. I'm guessing that #15's issue is the criminal effect of the weed, not the weed in and of itself. Mala prohibita, not mala in se.

rifletwirler92 15

I think she's talking about it being a turnoff that he sold it illegally versus her other ex who sold it legally.

#24 Besides, if it's for medical purposes then it's being used to help people.

38, I'm not afraid to admit that I buy weed every so often from my local dispensary for the sole purpose of giggling at crappy TV shows while stoned, and I think most users I know would admit the same. That's not to say there aren't some smokers who have legitimate medical needs (chemo patients who can't stomach food without it come to mind), but I actually think legalization would happen even faster if we could admit that 90% of users are everyday citizens who just want to get high. I'm not necessarily arguing with you, but it's pretty easy to shoot down the "it's for medical reasons!" argument when it's coming from someone who hasn't been to see a practicing MD in years.

Shalnar 6

I wish there was a "top ten things you should know about me" list you could access when you foray meet.

delfino1604 24

He sounds great. Honestly.

merryhappy1887 20

I fail to see the problem here.

When dating via the internet out is often necessary to weed out ill suited suitors.

I'm having trouble seeing the problem. At least he makes good money.

The problem is more with the criminal aspect of it (Yes it's illegal in London). Would you want to become involved with someone who could wind up in jail at any moment ?

How is this an Fml? Entrepreneur, steady income, and you get free hookups...Win in my book.