By Cossack_Man - 25/08/2009 20:07 - United States

Today, for karaoke, I sang American Woman by Lenny Kravitz. The entire audience cracked up laughing and at least three people pulled out their cell phones to record my performance. At the end, the DJ said, "Looks like someone had too much tonight." I was completely sober. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 859
You deserved it 11 704

Same thing different taste

Top comments

dont worry....you are what makes american idol hilarious :)

shiftydude 0

its originally by The Guess Who, not Lenny Kravitz ;)

Comments

Adamt 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

the OP was so drunk... he mispelled JD, its not DJ... stupid *****! btw what does OP stand for?

curryndricegirll 0

i don't get it either. you don't do karaoke because you're good. you do karaoke to have fun and a good time. why is everyone bitching at the OP and american idol? it's not like he was auditioning for anything. he was singing for fun

Exactly - people who don't have good voices but still have fun while giving it their all are the MOST fun during karaoke. It would be lame to just have top 10 American Idol voices over and over, there's no fun. I love that OP is one of those people who are able to not take themselves seriously and sing in front of a whole audience.

EFFyourlifecait 0

YDI for thinking that American Woman is by Lenny Kravitz. It's by the Guess Who. This is Rock 101.

superpanda24 0

Lol ydi for going to a karaoke bar, that's so fail D:

Eldorko's name suits them. Lenny Kravitz remade the song. Not Being An Assumptive Dick 101.

curryndricegirll 0

so true. (not sarcastically) real friends tell you when you suck.

who's the Guess Who? are they a tribute to The Who?

Speaking of being a presumptive dick, it's still not Kravitz's song whether he recorded it or not.

Lenny Kravitz' cover version of The Guess Who's hit "American Woman" was originally was for the soundtrack of Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me. It was added to the album '5' as a bonus track in 1999. It helped The Guess Who's song reach a new audience and won him another Grammy in 2000.

mrblonde_fml 0

It doesn't necessarily mean that he thinks that the song's by Lenny Kravitz; he was probably singing to the Lenny Kravitz version of the backing track, thus justifying saying it was by him. Anyways, this is funny as ****.

"looks like someone had TOO much tonight," TOO much. Let's learn the English language people!

zendaddy0 0

every man needs to know how to act drunk and gtfo

Ligerie 0

well don't sing if you suck that bad!

Because everyone who goes to karaoke has the voice of an angel, right?

brrrx 0

You went this far with your life not knowing you had no singing voice? That's just stupid on your part.

acd23 0

Sadly, that happens a lot. American Idol provides SO much proof that some people just don't know how bad they sound while singing. But OP, this really isn't a huge FML. At least the people there thought you were singing bad because you were drunk, instead of because you just don't have the greatest tone. Take the strong hint handed to you by this experience and don't sing in public. Unless you secretly enjoyed this experience, of course. :)

renaet 0

How do you know how old they are?

curryndricegirll 0

it was just karaoke. how is it "that far". karaoke is supposed to be fun killjoys. FYL, OP

okay all you idiots who say ydi for not knowing you cannot sing, are just that. idiots. because KARAOKE is just that. KARAOKE. People who sing Karaoke do it FOR FUN So what if you cannot sing!??!

acd23 0

the_deuce -- I think this is kind of a YDI for the OP just because he's taking karaoke so seriously. Like you said, people do it for fun, not as a serious performance. It's not really an big FML that people think he sings bad karaoke, people wouldn't go to karaoke if they wanted to hear people sing well. It's kinda an FML that he just now found out that he isn't a great singer even while sober, but he needs to lighten up a bit and enjoy singing bad karaoke. Or find something else to do with his time.

I had to give up drinking about halfway through college. The correlation of consumption of alcohol and puking started to approach 1.0. Still people saw me at parties and thought I was shit-faced even when I was stone-cold sober. Less calories for beer, the more calories for doughnuts. Mmmmm, doughnuts. Imagine all the ugly girls I didn't wake up with the next morning!

curryndricegirll 0

it's an FML, because telling him he was bad would have been enough, but they went as far as to ask him if he was drunk. oh well, ur right though, it'll all blow over in the morning, and the OP will either get singing lessons or forget that it ever happened.

As long as people are laughing and recording, I'd say you're doing SOMETHING right lol

owww tough lesson. well at least you know you cant sing so you wont go on american idol or something like that on tv

dont worry....you are what makes american idol hilarious :)

Correction: what USED to make American Idol hilarious. Now it's just a bunch of sob stories and annoying judges.

CheshireHalli 19

Lenny Kravitz has a song by the same name as well.

It's a cover of the Guess Who, and it sucks.

de_fenestration 0

How do you know they weren't singing to the Lenny Kravitz cover, which does not sound exactly the same as the original?

CheshireHalli 19

The point was to say that there is a version of the song that is indeed sung by Lenny Kravitz. I do know it is a cover. =)

maybe you should consider singing lessons

ChefBoy6382 0

DUMB ASS!!! IT"S SUNG BY THE GUESS WHO...LENNY IS A COVER ACT!!!!

yeah they sing it originally, but the OP was just saying they were singing the, oh-so-much-better Lenny Kravitz version.