By hatemyjob - 05/11/2009 09:44 - Australia

Today, I found out that the new receptionist earns more than I do. I'm an undergraduate accountant and I've been working there for 2 years. Oh and I started out as the receptionist before I got a "promotion". FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 750
You deserved it 2 487

Same thing different taste

Top comments

perdix 29

The new receptionist obviously has better qualifications, and by "better qualifications," I mean "bigger ****." Don't think of a boob job as cosmetic surgery, think of it as an investment in your future.

If you get no benefits as the receptionist, but you get benefits as an accountant, you have to balance those as well. If you have full benefits in an accountant position, expect to make a little less. Especially since receptionists I know don't get benefits, so they get a bit of a salary buff to pay for their own health insurance and what nots.

Comments

americayay 0

"Undergraduate accountant." Translation: not an accountant, but in school to be one. Not impressive.

Exactly. "Undergraduate accountant" means undergraduate accounting major. The receptionist probably has a degree already, or years of work experience, which would be why you make less. And if you're an undergraduate, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're doing Work-Study for your school. Those positions almost always pay min. wage.

Time to look for another job. Sorry this happened to you :(

perdix 29

The new receptionist obviously has better qualifications, and by "better qualifications," I mean "bigger ****." Don't think of a boob job as cosmetic surgery, think of it as an investment in your future.

perdix 29

mercy, ESPECIALLY if the OP is a man! The folks who like chicks with dicks preferr big-titted chicks with dicks over itty-bitty titty chicks with dicks. Or so I've heard.

No. OP may have started out on a lower salary for a reason. If the new receptionist was wanted at another job also the employer might have raised their salary. Therefore, even with OP's promotion, the new receptionists starting salary could be higher

A woman shouldn't have to be cosmetically altered to earn what she is worth. That is the problem with today's society, always attaching worth with looks.

txgirl09 5

Then in a professional manner discuss being given a big raise.

perdix 29

(Sorry if it's a repeat. This first version appears to have been eaten.) Y'know, in countries like Australia that speak a more British English, they call a pay increase a "rise." I'm sure your boss will be happy about discussing the giving of a big rise. The first point of negotiation will be who will do the giving. *fade in bad **** jazz*

Haha nice. Mhhh yea, about those... How Lumbergh talks gets me on my nerves.

If you get no benefits as the receptionist, but you get benefits as an accountant, you have to balance those as well. If you have full benefits in an accountant position, expect to make a little less. Especially since receptionists I know don't get benefits, so they get a bit of a salary buff to pay for their own health insurance and what nots.

An undergraduate accountant? As in you haven't graduated yet? Well that sounds like a long internship to me and it isn't uncommon for someone in that position to get paid less than someone who is working full time and isn't in school. As others have said, you can politely ask for a raise and hope they aren't just using you for cheap labor and that they actually think you do a good job.

perdix 29

How did you miss The PUNisher?