By Sunshinenwhiskey - 05/05/2016 15:10 - United States - Dallas

Today, I found out why my sister hasn't been answering my texts or phone calls. Her husband blocked my number on her phone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 798
You deserved it 981

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you don't know why he would do such a thing then it's time to have a talk with him.

Wow I hope she has a serious discussion with him and you should talk to him too. That's some crazy controlling stuff.

Comments

He's not bipolar. He's a sociopath. He's attempting to isolate her from people who care for her so that they cannot interfere and break his control over her. He contradicts himself when it comes to her working hours (and doubtlessly on countless other matters) because it entertains him to create drama, confusion, and grief. I've experienced this treatment myself, as have many other people I've spoken to in support groups for survivors of domestic abuse. This is classic abusive behavior. His behavior will only get worse. If he's not physically abusing her already, it's likely he will eventually. Your brother in law is evil, plain and simple. Let your sister know that you'll be there for her whenever she's ready to leave and help her in any way that you can. She'll need compassion and understanding. Judging her and telling her what to do won't help. Good luck. I hope your sister gets him out of her life safely.

Tell the little shit to **** off. You and her deserve better

Does she have plans to get away from this situation? I know it is easier said than done, but this is definitely a classic example of abusive spousal behaviour and she needs to leave before he turns violent. You're right though, being supportive should be priority no.1. She needs to know that there are people she can turn to. It's one of the main reasons people stay in abusive relationships; their abusers isolate them from loved ones and then they have nowhere to go when things go south.

#47 At least have her change he password to her phone. You should also stop by weekly to make sure they are OK.

Does she have a password on her phone? That would keep him out.

As others have said, that is textbook abusive behavior (and your further details make it clear he's a controlling scumbag). Your sister needs to leave this guy.

I couldn't agree more!! He's definitely portraying classic sociopathic behaviour! Also sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder (or even Narcissistic Personality Disorder/ Antisocial Personality Disorder). However a diagnosis of a personality disorder or mental illness (such as bipolar etc) is NO excuse to be an emotionally abusive partner. OP I hope your sister is able to work things out and do what is best for her long term health and wellbeing

My ex was very similar and I let him get away with it because his Type 1 Diabetes would affect his mood massively. However it didn't do me any good and I left just before he got physical against me (he had hit me before "by accident"), but it took me 2 years too long to leave. After that I had some serious trust issues and was left craving any sort of positive attention I could get which led to some bad choices. I genuinely wish I listened to people when they warned me.

If her husband has bipolar disorder, doesn't he have a psychiatrist? Plus there are medications out there that can help regulate his mood fluctuations.

You're right, all you can do is support her. She will need it if she can ever try to get out if it. With family sticking with them, it's a lot easier to realize and get out. Maybe try to let her know that bipolar isn't an excuse, though. She has no reason to feel guilty or anything like that and it's no excuse for the behavior. It won't get fixed, if she stays that will be how her life is. And I truly hope there's no children, if she wants any does she really want him to be their father? To let them see how their relationship, thinking its normal or possibly be abused themselves? It's hard..but it's truly best to leave. No one should have to deal with that.