By Sunshinenwhiskey - 05/05/2016 15:10 - United States - Dallas

Today, I found out why my sister hasn't been answering my texts or phone calls. Her husband blocked my number on her phone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 798
You deserved it 981

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you don't know why he would do such a thing then it's time to have a talk with him.

Wow I hope she has a serious discussion with him and you should talk to him too. That's some crazy controlling stuff.

Comments

I happen to be bipolar and schizoeffective. There are different levels of bipolar disorder. For the people saying he "sounds like a serial killer" and "he's a keeper", you guys obviously never knew anyone with a mood disorder. We're not easy to get along with. But we do have people fall in love with us. My mood disorder kept me from marrying my husband for 15 years. Now we've been married for 3 years. (Total of 18 years together.) I am sometimes manic and then I crash and am depressed. I am sometimes very paranoid and believe people are staring at me and/or talking about me. Sometimes we make rash decisions. So OP's husband could have had a manic phase when he blocked her sister and forgot about it. You have to understand the disorder before passing judgement

He's acting abusive. I'm sorry, but someone shouldn't have to deal with abuse because it's caused by a mental illness. It doesn't lessen the fact it's abuse or the effect it has on op's sister. If it's caused by him being bipolar it just strengthens the fact he won't change and she should leave sooner than later.

I do know many people with mood disorders, including bipolar disorder, and I still stand by my point. Being bipolar IS NOT an excuse to be abusive, emotionally or otherwise. With the mania and depression there's ups, downs, and paranoia, which is difficult, so you definitely need an understanding partner. But making your partner feel like their worthless, insulting and criticizing everything they do, and controlling them, that's not ok. Those are deliberate actions bent on making sure you have someone completely submissive and compliant under you. A few of my family members are bipolar, and although they have their issues, they still wouldn't even consider doing this type of crap.

I've had many outbursts in which I hurt the people I love most. It doesn't make it right. Afterwards, usually after a cigarette, I realize what I did and apologize. The apology doesn't make it better or make what I did go away. My point is that their is normally a period of regret. Because of this I have taken the initiative myself to get on medication. What turned me off to medication before is that some medications make you gain weight and turn you into a zombie. So for 6 years I refused medication. A great doctor listened to me and found a medication that works for me. Suggesting medication very rarely goes well with someone like me, but once we realize we're hurting people some of us decide to make a change

I'm glad you're there for your sister.

redneck_wolf 19

I'm sorry, but how in the world would the cops be able to do anything at all? Oh no, my sisters husband blocked my phone number on my sisters phone, better call the police! That's not even a crime...love how people think officers have a magic wand they can wave and fix all their problems

Oh wow, that must make it even harder on her.. I hope she can get out soon. My fathers depression made him short tempered. He kept from hurting my mother under her threat of if he hit her she'd leave, but it didn't stop mental or emotional abuse. When she was going through the divorce, he did hit her but police was called and it at least strengthened her case. She found out later, though, that while he kept from physically hurting her he didn't for my brother. On his meds he is a lot better, but it took her leaving him and him dealing with it and eventually finding someone new to get him to that point. Don't expect them to change if you stay with them, I truly think if my mom stayed he wouldn't have become who he was today. Sometimes leaving is best for all parties. Since he actually chose to change, my brother and I have a relationship with him. But my brother cant forget what happened when he was little. The divorce was finalized when I was 4 but I still have memories of hiding in the dark crying because of the fighting and somewhat of being in his arms when he was hitting my mom. This is really long, sorry, I just wanted to share. Even if he doesn't hurt her, he could hurt the kids. If not physically, then mentally.

Report any suspicious anything to law enforcement anonymously.

Without proper treatment, Bipolar is a serious problem. I have it, but more relevant is that my now-ex-stepdad had it and it was one of the factors that lead to his mental and emotional abuse of me. He nearly drove me to suicide. Talk to your sister about trying to get him better treatment before things get worse.

yellowzinnias 20

Exactly. As a person with BPD, I am sick of people throwing that word around to describe all sorts of incredible negative CHOSEN behaviors. He is an asshole. That's not a mental illness. Spreading that sort of misinformation means that those of us who already deal with mental illness also have to deal with social ignorance and stigma. The truth is, 99% of the time, you can't pick us out of the crowd. I take my pill and I come across as perfectly cognitively normal. I hang out with my friends, I have fun, I cuddle kittens, I work on my Ph.D, etc.

SailorSolaris 43

Is he diagnosed as being bi-polar by a doctor? If not, then you can't really say that he is, no offense. Good for you though, OP, for trying to be supportive of her!