By childofcrazy - 25/06/2015 20:03 - United States - Milwaukee

Today, I went to visit my mother after many years. Her hoarding has gotten so bad that now the house is entirely filled with junk and garbage, and she is camping out in the jungle of a backyard, cooking on a cauldron over a fire and shitting in the compost pile, with no working heat or water. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 018
You deserved it 2 410

childofcrazy tells us more.

childofcrazy 3

Many thanks to those who understand hoarding behavior and who defended me. In case you were wondering: 1. I have tried to help my mother for over 20 years and she refuses help, professional or otherwise. 2. I exaggerated how long it has been. I have seen my mother many times, usually she visits me. She has not allowed into my childhood home since I left for college 12 years ago. It has just gotten worse now. She really is living in the backyard, this is not an exaggeration. 3. I am currently working on what to do for her; I am trying to get her some help in this crisis, even if that includes forceful removal. 4. Humor helps me deal with tragic circumstances. This is why I chose to share this ridiculously sad story. 5. Hoarding is never the child's fault. I have been living this down and getting over guilt my whole life. 6. I can only imagine being on TV would be akin to suicide for her, as hoarding is a secretive problem. 6. Kids, if you live in a cluttered landfill of a house, your parents' hoarding is its own mental disorder. It is an addiction. Childrenofhoarders.com is a great first resource. There is help. 7. Yes, I think my mom is probably doing spells in the backyard. I gotta get this shit figured out before winter. She is in Iowa.

Top comments

You really should get her some help,she can't keep living like that even if she thinks it's acceptable.

Comments

As much as I like the show Hoarders and enjoy watching them clean, I feel terrible for the people on the show who live in such a way as that. Houses such as that can be extremely dangerous for people to live in. Please get your mother some help.

Yuck. Your poor mom. Go rent a hotel room take her with you, pull some sneaky shit & call someone about that!

whatthefuckusername 13

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

This is more a f her life than f your life situation op. It's clear your mother has some kind of mental illness that needs addressing. You may not be able to persuade her to get help but the important thing is that you try. Obviously none of us know the reasons behind why you didn't see each other for so long; hopefully those reasons have resolved themselves now but either way you both have a long road ahead of you :( I hope everything works out for the best for both of you. Are there any siblings or other family that can provide support?

Sounds like Diogenes syndrome. She needs psychological help before an accident happens (fall, fire...).

fml? more like fhl.. that's a little inconsiderate. you're not the one who is living like that, yet you're the one wanting sympathy for it?..

She's like a real live Forest Witch. Sweeeeet.

CrossEyedSniper1 18

If she is ok with it, i'd ask her if i could put her in a hotel or motel for about a week and have a talking with her asking her if she is truely happy with how she's living. from there go personal and deeper, just be sure not to seem like you're attacking her. If this doesnt work, seek professional help. Good luck OP.