By childofcrazy - 25/06/2015 20:03 - United States - Milwaukee

Today, I went to visit my mother after many years. Her hoarding has gotten so bad that now the house is entirely filled with junk and garbage, and she is camping out in the jungle of a backyard, cooking on a cauldron over a fire and shitting in the compost pile, with no working heat or water. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 018
You deserved it 2 410

childofcrazy tells us more.

childofcrazy 3

Many thanks to those who understand hoarding behavior and who defended me. In case you were wondering: 1. I have tried to help my mother for over 20 years and she refuses help, professional or otherwise. 2. I exaggerated how long it has been. I have seen my mother many times, usually she visits me. She has not allowed into my childhood home since I left for college 12 years ago. It has just gotten worse now. She really is living in the backyard, this is not an exaggeration. 3. I am currently working on what to do for her; I am trying to get her some help in this crisis, even if that includes forceful removal. 4. Humor helps me deal with tragic circumstances. This is why I chose to share this ridiculously sad story. 5. Hoarding is never the child's fault. I have been living this down and getting over guilt my whole life. 6. I can only imagine being on TV would be akin to suicide for her, as hoarding is a secretive problem. 6. Kids, if you live in a cluttered landfill of a house, your parents' hoarding is its own mental disorder. It is an addiction. Childrenofhoarders.com is a great first resource. There is help. 7. Yes, I think my mom is probably doing spells in the backyard. I gotta get this shit figured out before winter. She is in Iowa.

Top comments

You really should get her some help,she can't keep living like that even if she thinks it's acceptable.

Comments

jezka374 15

She needs help definitely! She may also suffer from dementia... Please take her to get her checked and hire someone to clear out her house.

She needs help. Probably best way is to get her to talk to a Psychologist that is already knowledgeable with hoarding issues. And OP - do your own research online for which pills are best for her and just get a GP to prescribe them. Most shrinks have deals with certain companies and favour certain pills - not because they are good or suitable, but because they have a massive stash of them in their cupboards. Any attempt to clean up her mess will make her hoard more. Sad fact. If you want to help, take her away for a weekend at a motel somewhere. A place where the room is fairly open. And then start a conversation - "did you like the room, and how open and spacious it was?" and get her interested in big open rooms, might be a way to get her open to the idea of help with her problem.

boredgirl_02 14

Yeah, mom is bad too. Every so often me or my siblings would spend some time "cleaning her house" I remember removing 10 bags of trash 5 days in a row and sorting the books and movies, etc and it didn't look like I made a dent. Once we got a dumpster and filled it... She has 4 cats and used to have a dog. I bet if I went over there I wouldn't see floor any more. At least she knows she is a hoarder and it's because of her depression... She just doesn't have the energy or the willingness to get rid of the rest of it.

Start being a good son and visit your mother, spend time with her, love her care for her. Hoarding is a mental disorder. She can't deal with it on her own. Shit has gotten this bad because you weren't around to take care of it

#86 Why should OP have to take care of his mother? It's not his fault she CHOOSES to live like this.

blackvyper 8
childofcrazy 3

Steak and stake are too different things, dummy. And, no.

childofcrazy 3

two. Dammit, can't even avoid a typo while criticizing yours!

RedPillSucks 31

how is this f your life? let your mom post

I wanna know that how her habit got so severe widout the op knowing? Unless op never visits her for long durations in which case YDI.

Isa_fml 20

It says right in the story that OP hadn't visited their mum in years, dumbass.

Sheesh 95, judgmental much? You have no idea whatsoever why OP does or does not visit her mother.