By alyssaamarante - 13/06/2015 02:41 - United States - East Northport

Today, I decided to go thrifting to save some money. Ironically, I ended up having to pay for an emergency trip to the hospital because somebody was too lazy to wash the cat hair off their clothes. I'm severely allergic to cats. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 349
You deserved it 8 966

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You don't bathe thrift store clothes in hydrochloric acid before you wear them?! Or am I the only one who's that afraid of other people's germs?

lolhailsatan 23

As a former secondhand shop worker, I will say that no, the store does not wash the clothes before they are sent out, big industrial size washers are mad expensive to buy and operate. However, if something has cat hair on it, we would lint roll the garment, or if it was completely covered, we would toss it. But anyway, i think it's common sense to wash the clothes before putting them on your body, so I'm saying YDI

Comments

If you getting something from the thrift store, you really should've washed it really well before wearing it.

why would you wash it before wearing? sooo its pretty much your fault ?

My local branch of a large national (US) second hand store washes every piece of clothing that comes in. They only receive local donations, so the clothes don't come in huge bundles. A person (volunteer, willing or non) hand sorts every piece. Bad items are tossed. So, some stores do wash.

Why is everyone blaming OP? Its the stores fault. And obviously OP couldnt wash it herself before trying it on at the store.

How is this the stores fault? Most thrift shops do not wash the clothing they get in, that would eat into profits/charity money (depending on the store) Even if they did was the clothes, whose to say that someone purchasing or trying on those clothes aren't allergic to the detergent they used. If you are severely allergic, enough where you know it will send you to the hospital, you should not be shopping at a thrift store. Blaming the store or the previous owner would be like blaming a random stranger on the street who accidentally bumped into you and got cat hair on you from their clothing. This is totally OP's fault for not bothering to take their severe allergies into account.

Elisabetha Aarron 18

If they have a severe allergy you should take extra precautions and at least think about who may possibly have donated the clothes. If just by being around it makes them react maybe thrift store aren't the best place for them for this very reason, although some places do clean the clothes and some people do clean it before donating if you are that allergic then maybe spending extra for clothes to prevent these kind of situations is worth it.

Geckosrock99 33

Take an allergy pill or something to help before going thrifting again. Thrifting is fun, and a great way to save money,so don't let your allergies stop you.

Usually whenever I buy something from a thrift store I wash it first. You never know what it could be carrying. Bed bugs, hairs from animals you're allergic to, for pants it could be crabs.. You never know. My friend worked at Value Village and she said that they do not wash anything that's there. So for anyone who buys things from thrift stores, I suggest giving it a good wash before you put it on! Hope everything's okay OP.

Sxylilhalfpint 20

You knew there was cat hair on it but didn't wash it? That's nasty man. This one is your own fault. Better luck next time.

Seriously, does no one read the comments before writing something so they don't post something that a thousand other people have written?!

Always, always wash items you thrift. Even I know this and I'm 14

As a cat owner I know it is almost impossible to get cat hair out of your clothes. Trust me, I've tried for years