By Anonymous - 24/09/2015 01:21 - Canada

Today, I found out my bank charged me $50 for not having any money. Way to go bank, way to go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 183
You deserved it 4 156

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would imagine that is an (albeit pretty high) overdraft fee? Consider cancelling the overdraft, then keep an eye on your account to make sure you don't get that low in future, or consider switching to a fee free planned overdraft with another bank. Check the terms though!

It's probably stated somewhere in their policy, right? If not, definitely try getting it back!

Comments

Pay the fine, and call it a lesson learned. Don't make a habit of over drafts, the fines at some banks double at every occurrence.

I agree that it seems stupid. However, this is why banks do it: they charge a fee because when you overdraft, you are using money that doesn't exist (aka negative balance). & when you do that, the bank has to cover for it. So to prevent people from overdrafting, they charge a fee. They essentially are trying to "teach" you to manage your money carefully and not spend more than what you have. I'm not necessarily siding with the bank here. I am just trying to explain to those who don't know why banks would do this.

Banks are always charging people for shit. Especially if it's because people don't have money. Like a bounced check. If the check bounced the person obviously doesnt have any money.

Then don't write the check. I work in banking and at least twice a week I talk to a customer who thinks they can just use the money like a credit card if they run the transaction as credit. All day long I see people overdrawing their accounts hundreds of dollars on dumb shit.

So why write a check if there's no funds to back it up? And also, they do this to stop people from: writing checks, getting the amount deposited into their account, spend it, and then later find out that the account the check was written from has no funds. Then what? The bank suffers. Banks do things for a reason. Don't be irresponsible with your money and maybe you'll have a better relationship with your bank.

I also work in banking and am skeptical. I see a lot of people doing fraudulent things like putting empty envelopes in the ATM but saying they deposited $200 and spending that $200 before the ATM is serviced and we realize they deposited nothing. But then the bank is the bad guy for putting holds on their ATM deposits after that. Like, you're the one who just committed bank fraud asshole, what did you expect? Or bouncing cheques and getting mad about NSF fees. Don't write cheques you don't have the money for...

#39 Do you get people who think that just because they haven't run out of checks yet that they should still have money to spend? I have a friend who thinks this way, I was kinda hoping for some advice on how to convince him to learn how checks really work.

a cheque is a promise to pay. if there is no money in the account, the promise is not upheld then there is a cost. it's like if you promise your friend something and don't do it they will be mad at you and it will hurt your relationship. it's simple, don't spend money you don't have.

ask the bank for a loan :) "problem solved"

fpants2010 18

That happened to me once; every month they took $20 because my savings balance was below a certain amount. Then they were baffled as to why I would possibly want to take my remaining balance to another bank.

should always keep a check on your bank account. But pretty bad, now you hve to pay...

Overdrafts are loans. The fees are similar to see interest charges on loans.

How is that stupid? Don't spend money you don't have, it's simple to avoid.

Overdrafts are loans. The fees are similar to see interest charges on loans.

Overdrafts are loans. The fees are similar to see interest charges on loans.