Close call

By MC - 14/05/2009 14:11 - Canada

Today, while working at a children's day camp, one of the kids who is allergic to peanuts went into anaphylactic shock. I ran and grabbed the boy's Epipen. I was holding it backwards so the injection went into my hand, causing me to pass out, and both of us to be rushed to hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 629
You deserved it 56 831

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kellster 2

Not panicking is a good thing. Also, paying attention during the first aid training. And it's "epi pen", for the record.

Too bad you can't spell anything else....

Comments

#59-- What the hell does fitness have to do anything? I compete in half-marathons and I am a 5'4" 125lbs female firefighter/paramedic who does her job just as well as the men, but I have an allergy to bees and shellfish. I use an epipen. What's my excuse? #51-- The epipen will only deliver 0.3mg of Epi 1:1000 concentration, which is only 0.3mL's.. It is a preloaded dose. Some medication will remain in the auto-ject, that is normal. It actually only takes about 1 second for the entire dose to be administered. They say to hold the needle in the skin for 10 seconds so it won't seep back out of the hole you've just created in the skin. OP-- You need to get yourself in an American Heart Association Heartsaver CPR/AED/First Aid course PRONTO. I can't believe they didn't certify you during orientation. #85 is absolutely correct-- There is a good possibility that the OP would have lost a finger in this case. Epinephrine causes vasoconstriction, which would close off the capillaries in the thumb, causing them to lose circulation.

My mom works at a nursing home, and one day she found an expired Epi Pen and decided to take it apart so the recyclable bits could be recycled. Since they're spring-loaded, the needle sprung out into her thumb, hitting the bone. Her thumb was numb for months. Also, you're an idiot. (: I hope the kid lived.

hahah this was so funny, and im sorry i think its funny. i hope you and the kid are okay. and personally i feel bad for you and bad for the idiots whove written above me and think theyre gods for knowing how to spell and how to administer an epi pen

Failercoptor 0

So much fail... sorry man

Honestly, when you're in a situation like that, you're going to panic and do things like this too. I dont think YDI at least you were trying to help the poor kid. Unfortunately, it just didn't go as planned. People are so heartless with their comments. I hope you and the boy are both fine.

I hope you're never depended on to give CPR.

only2006 1

1. You never put your thumb on top of an epi-pen. You grip it around the shaft of the pen like a fist. 2. If you were working at a childrens camp it was more than likely an epi-pen junior, which does not have enough medication in it to really affect an adult, this you passed out because you're a wimp - way too go. 3. If I were your boss I would fire you.

This is BS Injecting that much epi into your hand is enough to make you lose it... ...and no, you can't die from epi, unless the your suffering from heart failure...

crvenazvezda 0

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! YDI for such an epic fail!