Close call

By MC - 14/05/2009 14:11 - Canada

Today, while working at a children's day camp, one of the kids who is allergic to peanuts went into anaphylactic shock. I ran and grabbed the boy's Epipen. I was holding it backwards so the injection went into my hand, causing me to pass out, and both of us to be rushed to hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 629
You deserved it 56 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kellster 2

Not panicking is a good thing. Also, paying attention during the first aid training. And it's "epi pen", for the record.

Too bad you can't spell anything else....

Comments

#83: the OP WAS running back to the kid with the epi pen, so their heart was beating, the adrenaline was pumping ANYWAY. so the epinephrine would simply have overloaded their system causing them to pass out. To everyone who abused the OP: Have you considered that the OP has posted this because they were saying "FML I put a child's life in serious danger through an accident" ? The kid was going into anaphylactic shock, the OP raced to get the epipen and, in the heat of the moment, picked it up the wrong way round, ran back with it facing backwards and accidentally gave themselves the epinephrine. It was an accident caused by an error made in the heat of the moment. It could've happened to anyone. Would you abuse a nurse who'd been sent to quickly get some vital medication and in their haste to get it grabbed the wrong medication, or tripped and spilled the medication? To the OP: I hope you're OK and that the child isn't dead.

Rawrrr14 0

Fail. Hope you two are okay though! Brownie points for trying, it's good that you knew what to do. Simple mistake, it could happen to anyone, again, I hope things turn out okay. :-]

Today, I was at day camp and went into anaphylactic schock, one of the people who worked there who doesn't know shit, didn't give me my epi pen properly, I almost died...

next time, don't panic. and learn how to use it correctly. but yeah, it can be really scary. i had to do the same thing last year at a camp i work at. well, same except for i didn't stab myself with the wrong end of the pen. yeah, good luck explaining that one to the kid's parents. and your boss. better yet, i would not tell anyone actually.

oh yeah, way to spell anaphylactic correctly, but not 'epi'. i mean really, it's three letters. maybe you should get a different job.

pinkducttape 0

hey - at least you didnt panic and run into a tree... i love how people on this site expect people to be perfect. perfect grammar. know how to do everything correctly. dont rush or make any mistakes. i mean even doctors never make mistakes do they?

By the way, there are two sorts of epi pen. One sort you place against the person and hit the other end with your hand, the other sort you just slam against them and it self-deploys. Most people don't know this. I heard about this from an ambulance guy that I know - apparently the sort of thing that happened to the OP actually happens quite often.

thats why they don't let you touch the eppe pen unless the parent has shown you how to use it properly! didn't they tell you that during training? you definitely deserved that