By Radbaby - 20/06/2018 01:30

Today, nearing the start of what I was hoping to be a relaxing week off, my air conditioning system died. A replacement system will be in the $7000 range, just the amount I'd finally saved for my dream vacation. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 988
You deserved it 275

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Emma Marshall 19

So? Go on your vacation and fix the air con later. If you really need to

Comments

thatslifeiguess7 16
Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

Well it certainly is possible to live without an ac...

purplemonkey 7

1) If you don’t already you should get a home warranty because it helps with appliances, pipes and electrical stuff depending on the coverage you opt for 2) check home advisor for a replacement ac unit. I have found it to be a good resource for finding people willing to work within my budget and you could find someone with a used ac that they are willing to part with cheaply. 3) To avoid being surprised by failure in the future you can know about the unit having issues before it dies by having someone to check it usually catch that kind of stuff do a 6 month or yearly cleaning. (You can save by finding a place that covers both with a membership) You can also catch on that something may be hinkey if the filter gets clogged and needs to be changed more than once a month (or every 3 months depending on recommend brand usage) Also for people surprised that an ac unit would cost 7k that is actually on the lower end of the spectrum for a single family home unit they last for decades. I know I went on for a while but I live in Arizona where not having a working ac unit can be life threatening in the summer months.

Lobby_Bee 17

I would suggest fixing your AC first, home should always come first.

Get a lot of fans and open some windows

Just get a window air conditioner or live without it

julfunky 29

I honestly don’t get all these “just open a window and get a fan” people. This past weekend we had a heat advisory — 90 degrees with a humidity of about 65%. Fans and open windows doesn’t make it comfortable, it just keeps it from getting worse than outside. There is NO vacation more important to me than having air conditioning during those types of days. Being hot sucks.

Yea yea.. we had 107.6F° with 75% humidity, So hot that we've got a week off.. so this week I'm probably enjoying myself in my room.. not going outside, cause it burns..

Droplet20 8

keep it cool, and keep dreaming! FYL

Lora Wood 11

I just put in total system last year 16 SEER for 2400 sq ft $3500. That included labor.

As an HVAC professional I would say $7000 is on the high end. But I say that not knowing what needs to be done exactly. Definitely shop around, but keep in mind sometimes you get what you pay for!