By Anonymous - 15/05/2013 20:12 - United States

Today, I called my mother to tell her that I got engaged. In the 15 minute conversation that followed, 13 were spent listening to how this is going to affect her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 461
You deserved it 3 340

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AnthonyWheeler15 24

She should be happy for you! Don't let anything she said get to you! Congrats!

Shortay123 14

Self centered people these days. And if she doesn't want to she doesn't have to let it affect her. Live your life the way you want to. If you are old enough to be engaged you are old enough for it not to matter how it will affect her.

Comments

vanessa09865 23

My goodness OP, how could you even considered getting married to your own boy/girlfriend without consulting your mother? People these days just don't respect they're parents irrelevant opinions.

olpally 32

I would've hung up after 2 minutes... Selfishness at its finest. Like your married life has any effect on hers? Don't think so. Other than maybe having grand kids with your husband, she needs to back the **** off.

jem970 19

What is it with people being so self centered these days? How can people take something that has no effect on them whatsoever and flip to make it all about them? Its disgusting.

Sounds like my family, could be worse my mom told me i should get a 'nice' dress for my first one! Everyone has a little crazy in their family just a matter of how crazy...

TheSofaKing 7
MsMourningStar 22

At least she didn't ask you if you're pregnant like mine did. And make your fiancé promise to wait three years for the wedding before she'd give her blessing. I'm terribly sorry your mom sucks. Congrats though!

OP: "Mom, I'm engaged..." Mom: "what?! How could you do this to me!" FYL and FY Fiancé's life, Op. I see a Monster-In-Law FML coming soon from your soon-to be husband. Congrats on the wedding though, all the best!

Don't let her become some over bearing monster in law if you want your marriage to have even half a chance. Move away if you have to. She sounds like she wants your life to still revolve around her and her feelings. I cant imagine the men/women that put up with that crap, id put my in laws in their place from day one if they were crazy, thankfully they're amazing/supportive.

MythsNLegends 10

You should just start calling me when great things happen in your life. I'm much more positive and supportive.