By NateTheGreat132 - 20/10/2014 11:59 - United States - Whitehall

Today, after months of job hunting, I started a new job in a deli. I've been a vegetarian since I was 13, but it was the only job I could find. Turns out, I'm allergic to the preservatives they use, as my fingers now resemble sausages. Guess it's time to start job hunting again. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 829
You deserved it 4 397

NateTheGreat132 tells us more.

I was wearing gloves. When you open up a new carving block, there's TONS of meaty juice inside of there that you have to drain out. Some of it got inside my gloves.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

A lot of people have bad reactions to peanuts, too. Doesn't mean the rest of us need to justify eating them.

Actually if you stop eating meat for a while and then handle/eat processed meats(aka deli meats) your body will react in horrible ways more often then not. That's gotta be a sign of something.

Yea, a sign that you shouldn't stop eating meat

off-topic: #1 - your profile picture is cut off and can't be read ._. I'm guessing it's supposed to be funny though? on-topic: with reactions like this it's hard to justify OP not being a vegetarian - but doesn't mean squat about anyone else!

I'm not a vegetarian I am too much a carnivore at heart for that. But seeing the reactions people have to processed meats is enough to scare you off eating them. Hell even as a person that eats meat I get sick every time I touch processed crap. To answer the profile pic question. It's just more jaded human commentary. "I fear the day our technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

And on the topic of your Einstein quote, that has happened now. What a brilliant man that was so far ahead of his time.

That doesn't make sense. Preservatives shouldn't have anything to do with meat. Just don't buy the cheap processed crap but go for quality meats.

Sadly even "quality meat" is pumped full of preservatives and all kinda of shit these days. It's a dangerous world for a carnivore, our precious food has more formaldehyde than hunting trophies after a visit to the taxidermist.

I'm going to get down voted :( go ahead do it :(

I very much agree, #1. That is why I prefer to buy my meats from all natural farms, where livestock are raised they way nature intended. No antibiotics, no hormones, nothing.

It would still be fairly easy to come into contact with the preservatives........... Sorry OP I'm sure you will find a job soon!

Not really. If you constantly wear gloves and keep washing your hands, most people won't have a problem. Washing hands not only removes germs, but will eliminate anything else that may cause a reaction.

orbit 22

But don't sausages belong in a deli? I don't see the problem here.

#2 OP has replied and said it was the meat juice that got under her glove. I work in a deli myself; gloves can only do so much. Opening a new chub of meat can often get juice everywhere, and it's very easy for it to either dribble past the glove onto your wrist/arm or get under your glove. It's not possible to avoid complete contact with meat if you work in the deli unless you're wearing opera-length gloves.

put a rubber band around the cuff of the glove, or duct tape that would do just as well

keisha_paul 14

use gloves, i know its been said already, but its pretty obvious..... YDI

Your fingers are now truly fit for the job, yet your allergy and vegetarian side doesn't allow you to work there. Two situations forever at odds.

Food allergies are the worst. See a specialist and always keep benadryl handy. Good luck!

That's some awful luck. If it's a part of a larger grocery store, maybe you could transfer departments? If not, well, you found one job, I'm sure you'll find another. Keep looking, keep your head up and best of luck to you, OP.

Ah, yes. There are so many useful things to do at a deli with no hands.