By brianfantana32 - 12/09/2012 04:24 - United States - Spokane

Today, I was assigned to write a short story about what we imagine Earth to be like in 500 years, and daily conflicts people experience. My teacher loved it and read it aloud to the class. He asked for my inspiration, and I didn't have the heart to say that I ripped off Mass Effect 3. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 628
You deserved it 26 827

brianfantana32 tells us more.

brianfantana32 10

This. This is more of a morality issue than a legal issue. I didn't take it word for word (even though that's hard to do since it's a video game and not a book), I just used the concept.

Top comments

Mass Effect is the best inspiration hahah~

Hiimhaileypotter 52

I hope you put your own twist on it and didn't write just about how the game is, exactly. :|

Comments

Be more original you don't want someone to out you as a plagerist.

brianfantana32 10

I've only seen 2 people spell "plagiarism" right in this thread, come on Internet.

Aren't the people at bioware awesome??? :p (I am proud to say I know tons of ppl that work there)

Austyn57 1

People that keep saying that it's plagiarism and that he could get sued need to get their facts straight. The only way it could have been plagiarism is if OP actually used part of the game for something and didn't credit it. He just took part of the plot, which most likely isn't 100% original material in the first place. Almost nothing nowadays is an "original idea".

brianfantana32 10

This. This is more of a morality issue than a legal issue. I didn't take it word for word (even though that's hard to do since it's a video game and not a book), I just used the concept.

You are the first time I have seen the op in the comment section. Kinda cool. I'm glad you liked Mads Effect 3 enough to use it as your inspiration. Many people were disappointed in it. Do you play Dragon Age too??

Actually, I see the OP in the comments all the time, there's a link you can click on telling you that the OP commented on their post! Sometimes I can spot the OP before the link is put up!

Aha, morality. Bang on, OP. Just hope you did justice to that magnificent, epic ME! Anyway, why would Bioware bother to sue for breach of copyright unless they could prove loss of earnings?

Queen_of_Night 20

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Plagiarism isn't just the written word, colleges also prosecute idea plagiarism, the theft of someone else's ideas. You better hope some other student doesn't call you out on it. You have any idea how many students I see get thrown out of college for copying images and slightly modding them?

Queen_of_Night 20

Will he get sued, no. Technically, I believe (not an attorney) that it could potentially fall under fair use for education. He could however be thrown out of school.

Again, that's not true. There is a huge difference between using a (non-stock I'm assuming) image and editing it versus taking a "plot idea" from a video game. And like I said, very few ideas are "original". For example: Inception was VERY largely based on the novel and film Paprika. The entire idea plus half of the plotline is the same, and there are scenes (the hotel scene for example) that is literally a live version of the film. But did Chris Nolan get sued for plagiarism? No. There is a very big difference between inspiration and flat out plagiarism. It may sometimes be a fine line to walk, and might be good to just avoid altogether, especially for school projects, but in this case there is no way OP can get in trouble.

drsonic1 3

I think the reason so many people are mad is because you said you "ripped off" the game.

If you were a true gamer, you'd know there actually are Mass Effect books, and no I am not talking about gaming guides.

It's totally fine if you just used the basic concept - i.e. in the future ___ happens and ___ is a problem, however using characters and anything more in detail than the very base idea is plagiarism. An idea cannot be protected under copyright law. Sincerely, a legal student

#146 beat me to it: an idea cannot be copyrighted because its just that, an idea. For something to be legally protected it has To be captured in a physical or digital way. At least this is what I know.

Tragichero92 12

At least you didn't base it on Fallout and your still find it motivating.

Tragichero92 12

Forgot to put teacher, my bad. Grammar Nazi skills, I must acquire (>0v0<)

You didn't have the "heart" to say you plagiarized? Don't you mean you didn't have the balls?

Could've been worse, but you suck for not trying and not putting in any effort to use your own words.