By cassie611 - 13/03/2014 18:26 - United States - Houston

Today, we finally moved into our new home, which my husband and I got mostly so our kids could have fun in the spacious backyard. The moment they stepped into the backyard, they were terrorized by the neighbor's dogs, and now refuse to go outside. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 771
You deserved it 5 061

cassie611 tells us more.

cassie611 9

OP here, set things straight, our Realtor told us they had SMALL dogs, these are not little animals as she claimed them to be. Yes we do have a fence, I would not have taken it lightly if the dogs were in our yard scaring them. My kids are 2 & 1 so the loud barking and jumping on the fence does scare them. I do plan on talking to the neighbor but my 1 year old is scared of dogs period so introducing them will not help. I plan on talking to the neighbors and seeing if maybe an hour or so a day when my kids go outside if they can bring the dogs in. I hope a compromise can be made..

Top comments

Time to face one's fears...and invest in a fence...

Comments

Don't raise your kid to be scared of dogs. It will mess up their life

It will be a process but you ell succeed. But I am couriers about what you said to your straight talking realtor

As someone who owns a dog, just feed it really small insignificant treats and it'll be quiet :)

Even if your children are frightened of them now, they may warm up to them in the future, provided you can expose them to younger puppies (one of the ways I became acquainted with dogs was by helping my grandfather's dog birth her pups, but I was about 6 at the time). You could try letting them play with newly-weaned puppies (around a month after their birth), as they're slower and are likely to be generally less aggressive than older dogs (it may help to keep the mother of the puppies out of the same room, just in case she's possessive or territorial). That way, it would be less stressful for your children if they're around an animal that can't pose a physical threat (or around dogs that won't jump on them constantly or slobber on them). Either that, or you could stay outside with them in the yard until the neighbor's dogs stop barking at the newness of you and your family. If you can confirm it with your neighbors, you could also try playing with their dogs and demonstrating to your children that they're not dangerous. It's how I helped my cousin warm up to my dogs at home. I'd rough-house with my feisty dachshunds and let my cousin play with them (she was 3 at the time); needless to say, she's infatuated with animals at age 9. In short, if you shelter your children from dogs or animals altogether, they could potentially grow up resenting them or treating them badly. I've seen people attempt to take care of animals when they admitted to having no previous experience with them and ended up killing said animals or becoming injured when handling them.

You could create a beautiful and strong fence made out of solid wood, and in front of it you could place a hedge. I think the kids feel so much more comfortable then.

HEnRyEdwardsIII 15

get a dog whistle, or sounds of a vacuum on a powerful speaker