Close call

By MC - 14/05/2009 14:11 - Canada

Today, while working at a children's day camp, one of the kids who is allergic to peanuts went into anaphylactic shock. I ran and grabbed the boy's Epipen. I was holding it backwards so the injection went into my hand, causing me to pass out, and both of us to be rushed to hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 629
You deserved it 56 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kellster 2

Not panicking is a good thing. Also, paying attention during the first aid training. And it's "epi pen", for the record.

Too bad you can't spell anything else....

Comments

First of all, if you work with children than you are required to have first aid training! And if you work with a child whom you KNOW has allergies or any other condition it's your personal responsibility to know how to care for that child properly. Secondly, when I was a child I accidentally injected myself with an epi-pen that I thought was the trainer pen. Epinephrine does not make you pass out! It causes your heart to beat faster and wow, what a rush! I can't imagine anyone able to lose consiousness like that, which makes me question the validity of this post. Perhaps the needle shot through your fingertip and you didn't recieve any medication at all? That might make more sense, especially if you're afraid of needles. I truly hope the child is alive, because it would be very hard to live with yourself knowing that your lack of responsibilty caused a child's life to be lost. I hope you learned a lesson from this.

If you're going to work with children, you need to know how to use those medications PROPERLY. Don't they train you? If anything, there are INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PEN ITSELF. You're stupid.

Kai_fml 0

If this had actualy happened the OP would likely have lost his hand as a result. and it would have likely been shot through the finger, not the hand. which is why you never hold your finger over either end when administering epinephrine through any sort of auto injector (i.e. the epi pen) Also if you have a child with a known sever allergy to peanuts. you should be trained as a camp counselor to give them the epi pen. Overall. this belongs on failblog not on FML. it wasnt being held backwards it was being held completely wrong. And I truly cant see this having actualy happened, and having the idiot responsible feeling well enough to write about it I'm an EMT I would know

mintfreshpinesol 0

Perhaps it was just the panic and anxiety that caused him not to hold it correctly. I mean, the OP didn't necessarily say he didn't know how to use it. I think the real problem is that he doesn't work well under pressure...

NEXT TIME make sure what you're doing. This is why people practice.

Screw all of you guys who said he deserved it... people panic in situations like that. It's an understandable, albeit unfortunate mistake.

slutsstud 0

OMG!!!!!.. that is ****** hilarious!!!

planetearth 0

Um fake.. an epipen wouldn't make you pass out at all.. in fact it would probably be about the opposite reaction, like fast heart rate, sweating, etc. The worst that could have happened to you would have been to lose blood flow to your hand because you're not supposed to inject it there. But that's not what you said.. so FAKE!

ozymandias_fml 0

#89, No, it is *not* understandable. If you had ever seen an epi pen, you would understand. This is like shooting yourself in the head on accident -- with a shotgun. It's pretty damn hard to do.