Close call

By MC - 14/05/2009 14:11 - Canada

Today, while working at a children's day camp, one of the kids who is allergic to peanuts went into anaphylactic shock. I ran and grabbed the boy's Epipen. I was holding it backwards so the injection went into my hand, causing me to pass out, and both of us to be rushed to hospital. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 629
You deserved it 56 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kellster 2

Not panicking is a good thing. Also, paying attention during the first aid training. And it's "epi pen", for the record.

Too bad you can't spell anything else....

Comments

Alright, as somebody who has food allergies, like #70 here, that will cause the same reaction as in this FML, I can honestly say that Epi-Pens are very user-friendly. They've got ******* arrows on them, for christ sake! And if I'm ever going into shock and somebody wastes my epi-pen like that I'd make punching them the last thing I ever do. :P

Given that you can SEE the needle through the plastic, the OP actually IS an idiot. So no, don't stop calling the OP an idiot.

ROFFLE!!!! EPIC FAIL!!!!! Man. I have an epi pen. They are not hard to use. What you did is akin to shooting a gun with the hole pointed at you.

that is a huge fail on your part. I agree with #75.

beany212 0

How the hell do you know know that the needle is on YOUR side.

OP - if it makes you feel any better the kid would have had to go to the hospital whether you had gotten the epipen right or not.

this was horrible and i feel bad for both of ya...but it would also make for a great comedic moment on a sitcom show :-P

sometimes people panic big time when faced with a needle, i remember from school. and it's a very rare event that a daycamp employee would have to give a shot. idk i could go 50/50 on this one 'specially since daycamp workers are usually high school students... that child was most likely able to do it himself..but i guess he was already too far gone for that.

i must say YDI. first of all, why would a kid with a known allergy to peanuts come in contact with it in a daycare setting. it should be preventable. secondly, if you were trained properly, or actually paid attention in your firstaid/cpr class you would've been taught to never place ur fingers/hand at the tip of the epi pen while giving it to prevent such an accident. #42, your friend is an idiot for using an epi pen if he is not allergic. epi pen dosages are administered based on the need of the patient, and if you are not allergic then yes you can faint or even die from the adrenaline.

if you can't spell it you shouldn't administer it!